Scrivener with (but not ON) the iPad

I’ve been away from Scrivener for about a year, preferring simpler tools for writing, but my brain is exploding with ideas for my novel, I want to write everything all out of order, and nothing beats Scrivener for that.

However, I also love to write on the iPad. I know that the Scrivener developers have no immediate plans to port to the iPad, and while that’s disappointing, I respect that. That’s not what I’m here to talk about.

I’m wondering if some of you might have some best practices for moving projects from Scrivener to the iPad and back again.

I did a search on “iPad” in the forums and didn’t come up with anything.

I’d suggest reading through this thread: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/ipad-as-a-writing-research-tool/7271/1 for various people’s experiences of different apps for their writing / other purposes - the answer seems to depend on your worfkflow, whimsy and how much money you can persuade druid to part with for your app.

Thanks, Monkquixote, I’ll take a look. Meanwhile, if anyone else has thoughts and ideas I’d appreciate them.

Quick correction: developer (no plural) - there’s only one of me. Hence the mono-platform approach at the moment. :slight_smile: Just to let you know that I am planning to add Simplenote support to Scrivener 2.0, so with a bit of luck Simplenote will provide a good way of getting iPad notes into and out of Scrivener.
Best,
Keith

I stand corrected. You have the talents of many. :slight_smile:

The iPad topic is a bit big to eat. I’ll keep an eye on it and on this topic,and if it seems appropriate I’ll cut-and-paste my question into that.

I use Documents To Go on my iPod Touch. It runs on the iPad as well.

Workflow, in theory:

1. Make notes/plan/outline in Scrivener.
  2. When it comes time to write, I copy the outline for a few scenes to a Word file. I then write in NeoOffice, if I’m at my computer, or on the iPod. If I have notes that I want to add to the scriv file, I mark them with asterisks.
    2.5 I sync the iPod with Docs to Go every time I leave the house/come home, so I don’t worry about whether I’ve changed a particular file or not. They all get copied if there are changes.
  3. When the scenes are done, I copy them and any notes into the appropriate spot in the scriv file and archive the Word doc.
  4. Repeat with the next batch of scenes.
  5. I revise in Scrivener, though if I have to write a new scene or do heavy rewrites, I might copy it into Word (esp. if I want to leave the house to work). Any notes get marked with asterisks as above.

“In theory” because I’ve done step 5 with one novel and am doing step 1 with the next. Steps 2-4 have only been done without Scrivener. I might delay the copy-text-back-to-Scriv step until the whole book’s done, basically using Scrivener solely as an organizational tool until revising time. That way I’ll have all the chapters on my iPod but don’t have to worry about accidentally making changes and forgetting to put them into Scrivener.

DocsToGo is very nice on the iPad.

Also, today Dropbox released a new iPad version today that lets you open Dropbox files in other applications. I tried it out with a Microsoft Word document, and it successfully opened in Pages.

Pages is a really nice-looking word processor, which is unfortunately unusable on the iPad due to its ghastly desktop sync. Dropbox is a much easier way to get documents into Pages.

Unfortunately, I can’t find a way to get documents from Pages back to Dropbox.