Scrivener with Mendeley

I am a VERY new user to Scrivener and just downloaded the latest Windows beta version to have a play. I love how I can have many text-based sections open on the binder to write as and when I want to and re-organise them easily which can help break that writer’s block.

However, I am just about to start my PhD in the health sciences so citations are a must. I understand that Scrivener is just a drafting tool but I can’t afford to wait till I finish the entire draft to then export it to Word and then add my citations. I want to add my references as I write. And my favourite reference manager is Mendeley so can I get them both to work together? Is there a workaround please? My workflow is stalling big time because I can’t add the references when I write. Surely, the Scrivener devs would have considered this as an essential component?

Many thanks in advance.

I’m sure others with useful experience will chime in when they get a chance, but I noticed a recently resurrected thread (original post was in 2013, but was revisited last June) that discussed Mendeley and Scrivener. Hopefully, it proves useful to you: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-mendeley/24095/1

Many thanks for your reply, Rdale!

I have just explored the navigation pane in Word which I have hardly used or learnt to use before. It does offer some way to replicate Scrivener’s non-linear writing style by being able to easily move different sections by drag-n-drop within the navigation pane if styles are used in Word. This works like the binder in Scrivener.

When I used Scrivener for the first time I thought, yay, finally I can get rid of Word. But personally, being able to cite while I draft and also a tool to support some form of non-linear writing are SO important to me. Word offers both and unfortunately Scrivener doesn’t. Not to mention the unknown process of compiling to a Word doc at the very end which in itself could be a problem when dealing with a large thesis.

Hmmm…seems like back to Word then, unfortunately.

I hope the Scrivener devs realise that they have a rough diamond in their hands; you need to shine it by integrating cite while you write facility and ideally be able to export print-quality drafts. Then we won’t ever need Word.

Cheers,