Scrivener won't give up screen to another program

When I am using Scrivener and want to use another program, e.g. Mail, the main screen (Binder, editor screen, Inspector) of Scriv will not give up the focus to the active program. It stays on top and I have to physically move it away to see the other program. It did not even give up the screen to another Scrivener Window (I opened About to find out the version etc. and had to move Scriv out of the way to read it.)
Is there some setting in preferences that I have missed, or is this some form of aberrant action.

It seems to be a fairly new problem as I know I didn’t have it before.

I am using Lion (latest version) and latest version of Scrivener (2.1: 14118)

Many thanks

Don

It could be you accidentally at some point told the main Scrivener window to “float”, which will cause it to always be on the top of the window stack, no matter what you do (short of hiding the application with Cmd-H or minimising the window with Cmd-M). To see if Float is turned on, make sure the window is active, which is not to say on top, but has the deepest shadow on the screen and the darkest title bar, and check the Window menu. If there is a checkmark beside “Float Window”, then select the menu command to disable it—should be back to normal.

But like I say, floating is not necessarily forcing a window to be active. It can be put in the “background” so to speak, but still be on top. You should be able to type into Mail in other words, even if the project window is floating on top of it—which is, by the way, the primary advantage of floating windows as you can keep their material visible while working elsewhere. So if you’re seeing something different than what I describe, it might be a third-party tool that is doing this (and potentially bugged out as that doesn’t seem like something you’d want to do intentionally).

Amber
That seems to be it. I had Float checked. When I unchecked it, Scrivener gave up the screen.

Many thanks

Don