Scrivener won't install on Ubuntu 16.04

I was successfully using Scrivener (scrivener-1.9.0.1-i386) in Ubuntu 15.10.
I upgraded to Ubuntu 16.10 using a fresh install.
I have installed Scrivener using the latest deb file and the install appears to work as it completes provides the icon.
But the application won’t run. The icon flashes a few times as if the app is loading then stops.
What do I need to do?

It works for me on Ubuntu 16.04.

If you try running scrivener from a console (like Gnome-Terminal or LXTerm or Xterm), you can see any error messages it might be producing.

Try opening a terminal and type “scrivener” (without the quotes) and press enter. What shows up on the screen?

Hi Jillian,

Thanks for the reply. And good approach.

This is what is get when I run Scrivener in terminal. Looks like it has not correctly installed.

/usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: error while loading shared libraries: libgstapp-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Regards Andrew

Solved!

I installed “libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0” and Scrivener now works.

This must be missing from 16.04 as I did a fresh install.

Thank Jillian.

I’m glad you figured it out! Your reply reminded me that I actually had to deal with that same error message – I installed a bunch of “GNU SmallTalk” libraries until I figured out that gst = libgstreamer!

Happy Scrivening!

The actual line in terminal is as follows;
sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

Thank you very much. I used the command in the terminal and it works perfectly.

Thank you so much! I am writing my PhD thesis on Scrivener and just did a fresh install. Was about to lost me mind when Scrivener refused to open. This fixed it. :smiley: I registered here just to thank you!

I had been waiting for the point release 16.04.1 before making a fresh install of UbuntuStudio. I remembered having seen this thread some time ago.

The answer quoted above completely fixed the startup problem and saved a lot of time.

And I would also like to say thanks. Rather than coming straight here for an answer, I just wasted time searching on Google. Silly me. Applied the fix, Scrivener now works, I am very happy. Thank you Linux Scrivener peeps. :smiley:

I’ve had the same error, but the

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

Didn’t work, I had to use:

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386

Possibly because I’m on an Intel CPU? No idea really! Hope this helps someone.

after installing from the .deb on an amd64 machine I did this to resolve the missing dependencies.
the missing dependancies are because the version referenced is deprecated now… but this worked no problem.

wget http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gst-plugins-base0.10/libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0_0.10.36-1_amd64.deb wget http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gstreamer0.10/libgstreamer0.10-0_0.10.36-1.5ubuntu1_amd64.deb sudo dpkg -i libgstreamer*.deb