Scrivener won't open files on DVD.

I back up my files on bluray/dvd regularly, and I got the following error when I tried to open one in scrivener:

file is not writable, access is denied.
Autosaves need write permission to your project.

So it’s pretty obviously the fact that it’s on non-writable media.
Is there anyway to disable this-- I don’t want to work on them, but I’d prefer to verify their status without having to copy the scrivener file file from the DVD to RAM and back again.

thanks!

I don’t think this can be disabled. Which means you’ll encounter it when attempting to get Scrivener to open up projects that are in read-only form (on CDs/DVDs or in compressed .zip format), unless you copy and/or decompress as appropriate first to get the project back into regular modifiable form on a writeable hard or solid state disk. I can’t find the thread(s) now, but there has been some discussion that Scrivener tends to do a lot of startup housekeeping and ongoing frequent updating of the many physical files that make up a project. It is a different more complicated undertaking.

Seems reasonable to put a post in the Wishlist subforum requesting such or some alternative (integrity checker for such or separate read-only “reader”)… but it may not be practical, given that Scrivener projects are essentially databases comprised of many subfolders and physical files, rather than single physical files.

One could do a superficial non-definitive check by navigating into such backups using File Explorer, drilling down into the project’s Files/Docs subfolder and opening (but not changing or saving) one or two of the individual .rtf files (in WordPad or other .rtf capable editor/word processor), to confirm that some text is present, but that wouldn’t prove completeness or integrity. Likewise, could check backup project folder or zip size and count of folders/files contained and compare against previous.

Which leaves periodically copying\decompressing such so that can open in Scrivener. There are probably ways to streamline/semi-automate that a bit, via routine standardized manual procedures, batch files, or macro/script languages.