Scrivener won't save my project anymore

Hi all.

So I’ve upgraded my Mac to Lion on the day it was released, and Scrivener to version 2.1.

Earlier today I had a totally unrelated issue which prompted me to call Apple support, who instructed me at some point to verify and repair all permissions in Disk Utility as well as to “rebuilt ACLs”, or something approaching, which was done by booting my Mac while holding Cmd-R and then launching “reset password” from Terminal.

Here’s my problem: ever since I did that, Scrivener won’t save any of my projects anymore. Whenever I hit Cmd-S or Scrivener goes for an automatic save, this dialog pops up:

Any idea how to fix this, other than by erasing all trace of Scrivener on my system and reinstalling it?

I’m having the same problem. I too installed OSX Lion and have done a few repair permissions after additional software installations (which is what I’ve always been instructed to do after installs on Macs). However, I did not run anything in Terminal nor attempt to re-set any passwords.

You should locate your project in the Finder and do the “get info” function (CMD-I works in Snow Leopard) to see if the file bundle is still owned by you. If it is, take a look at the permissions. They should read something like rw-r–r-- or rwxr–r-- The first 3 letters/dashes are what matter here. If the repair permissions actually traversed your home directory, it may have stripped away your ability to write to your own files.

If the file bundle turns out okay, you may have to dig deeper into the bundle (‘under the hood’ it’s just a specially named directory, which contains other files & directories). It’s possible that some of those files were somehow messed up. I think you ctrl-click on the Scrivener project and select “show contents” or something like that… I’m not sitting at my Mac right now.

It’s also possible that the folder containing your Scrivener project is no longer owned by you or is no longer writeable by you. If any of the above investigations turn out to be true, you can run a command in the terminal app, but let’s save that for if you discover that permissions/ownership of your files is the culprit.

That worked.