Scrivener workflow and styles

Hi,
I’ve being using Scrivener for a while, but only recently “for real”, as I had to write a research report from various different sources and I could enjoy the flexibility of this wonderful piece of software when it comes to move around stuff in the outline.
The problem I face though, is that once I compile the draft, in .doc, sadly, as this is the format I’m requested to use, I have to go thru the whole document and retouch all the formatting, manually assigning styles to titles and quotes. Typically, by doing this you will find correct some typos, and you may want to rephrase some sentences here and there, as to go back to the original bit in scrivener and compiling the draft again will mean to start the formatting over again, which is a real hassle.
Of course you can assign styles in scrivener either using keyboard shortcuts in OS X sys prefs, as Kieth kindly explained to me once, but this will only work if the styles ruler is visible, which is not the case when working in Full screen. Or, you can set up a customised scriptwriting mode, crafting your own styles in scrivener, and assigning them a keyboard shortcut as well, that in this case WILL work also in full screen. This will allow you to visually recongnise the different styles types once you come to the compiled draft in word, and yes, you can assign keyboard shortcuts in word as well to swiftly format headings, citations, quotes etc. quite swiftly, but if the doc is pretty long, chances are that you end up skipping some bits by mistake.
Does anybody came up with a smart workarond to do that automatically? I don’t know, a Word macro, or passing thru HTML and a CSS file, and from there to word?

Moreover, this means that I cannot go back to the scrivener original once I polished the compiled draft, especially if I’m collaborating with someone who has made some changes in my compiled word document. At that point, I have to stick to Word and use the outline and document map there to find my way.

Any of you out there experiencing the same frustrations? any advice on how to improve my worklow and avoid them? Should I just accept to think that Scrivener is only apt for lone writers? :wink:

thanks,

Paolo

The only really near-100% way I know of for doing this is using the MultiMarkdown workflow to generate an HTML file, importing that into OpenOffice, and then saving as a Word Document from there. The MMD workflow produces an HTML document with proper semantic elements, whereas the one that OS X generates from RTF is styled paragraphs, so not very useful for getting headers as headers, and so on.

Unfortunately, using the MMD workflow may not be an easy thing to do. Most novelists could probably generate a decent MMD file without touching their manuscript, since Scrivener generates the heading codes, but anyone doing academic work, technical writing, or anything else with a lot of illustrations and, tables, and formatting will probably require hours of time converting (and that’s not counting the time it takes to learn MMD).

MMD does also facilitate the problem whereby while you are perusing your final copy you notice errors. Since final publication is one-step away out of the Compile dialogue, it is quite easy to proof the final copy in one window and fix typos with Scrivener open beside it. Even still, there eventually comes a time where you have to break off. Try to think of Scrivener as your first draft engine. For the final steps its probably not the right tool for the job anymore, though with MMD->LaTeX you can get 99.9% to galleys straight out of Scrivener (and for some that could be 100%). Too bad that workflow has a niche usage.