Scrivener's PDF vs CreateSpace

I just did my first submission to Createspace and it went mostly well. It complained that my screen captures were 72dpi — maybe my wife’s iMac with the Retina screen will do better. The big issue was that it found 30 places where it complained and removed “non-printable markups.” It stated that these were “information added to a PDF but not intended for printing, such as mark-ups, sticky notes, comments, etc.” Since my book only had 5 footnotes and they looked ok, I don’t think it was from them.
I had removed all Scrivener Comments, and unchecked all of the PDF settings for Compile. My compile setting started life from Ed Ditto, How to Format Your Novel for Kindle, Nook, the iBookstore, Smashwords, and CreateSpace…in One Afternoon (for Mac).

Looking page by page I could see anything missing in the book.

Has anyone else had similar issues and found a solution?

Try using Scrivener’s Format -> Options -> Show Invisibles command, especially if the text was originally created in another program.

Also, does the PDF contain hyperlinks, either within the file or to outside locations? Those are fine in PDFs intended for electronic distribution, but meaningless in actual print documents. You can remove them using the File -> Compile -> Transformations pane.

Katherine

The text was 100% done in Scrivener. I like your Compile => Transform => Remove Hyperlinks except doing that breaks the table of contents in PDF all of the page number become <$p> That might be a bug :smiley: