Scrivener's ToC vs MS Word's ToC – challenges with changes after the fact

Hello all,

I am pretty sure my query is not something that can be fixed by Scrivener 3, since the latter is doing what I would expect.

However, the realities underlying my issue must surely mean I am not the only one who is experiencing this, and so I have come here hoping to hear how others ‘manage’ it…

After Compiling into Word.docx, with the Scrivener ToC as Front Matter, all is as expected.

However, certain formatting changes inevitably take place after that export/compile.
Yes, many of these can be removed from equation, were I to take a bit longer to get everything set up properly so that the Compile exports the final document looking how I expect it to – but certain of these changes cannot be dealt with inside of Scrivener – and these present my challenge.

Simplest example (there are one or two others) - inside Scrivener, Bookends has placed all my {temp citation markers} for my various academic references.
When I have compiled out of Scrivener, the Word document is (e.g) 49 pages long.
I then “scan” the document, and Bookends converts all those {temp citation markers} into their full-blown equivalents, as required by the application Style Guide.
That same document is now 51 pages in length.

From what I can tell, Word does NOT automatically update the ToC. Nor can I find a way to make it do the update, manually, after the fact.
So whereas the ToC was correct initially, as soon as I have finished scanning and replacing the {temp} with full citations, the ToC is then incorrect.
To be clear, the “links” still work, but they take me to (e.g.) page 27, which is where Heading X was, whereas in reality, it is now on page 28, following the ‘scan’…

Does this ever catch anyone else out?
Any suggestions about working around this?

Does it update if you run a print preview in Word? I think it is a bit slow about updating bookmark references by default, but it should be possible to update them.

Well, that aside, it might be a better approach at this point in time to take advantage of Scrivener’s stylesheet support. The way dynamic ToCs work in word processors is by using stylesheets to determine document navigation. Heading 1, Heading 2 and so forth. If a document has such stylesheet information embedded in it, then inserting a normal dynamic ToC should be easy enough to do. I don’t know anything about Word, but it works perfectly in LibreOffice and Nisus Writer Pro—so I suspect it should be easy in Word too.

Scrivener’s ToC feature is more for cases where you can’t use the real deal, it has always been that way, but I would say it is especially so now.

I did not think to try this, but will give it a go.
I would have presumed it would update automatically, but the Word Mac version is quite deprecated compared to the Windows/Office 365 version, so wasn’t holding my breath!

Many thanks!

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting I use the Stylesheet inside Scrivener, and then populate the ToC inside MS Word, given how that’s (more-or-less) how Word compiles its ToC in any event?
That would likely make the most sense, given my particular use-case.

Will give the above a whirl, and pop something up again if I am still lost!

Yeah with Scrivener you can either use the “Heading 1” style right in the editor, or if you prefer to have the compiler generate titles for you, you can have the compiler use styles for the headings as well. The attached sample project demonstrates the latter:

  1. I fired up compile, and switched to RTF.
  2. Right-clicked on Manuscript (Courier) and chose “Duplicate & Edit Format”.
  3. I decided to use the “Chapter with Title” section layout for my example. I made only two changes to it:
  • In the “Title Options” tab I removed the carriage return from the prefix so that it would be “Chapter X: Folder Name”. I think dynamic ToC features tend to work better with single-line headings.
  • Back in the “Formatting” tab, clicked into the now one-liner heading and use the a button to apply “Heading 1”.
  1. Clicked Save, ensured that ‘Section’ type items are assigned to my modified “Chapter with Title” layout and compiled.

toc_structure_as_styles.zip (18.8 KB)

Many thanks, and for taking the time to put the Template example together. Will certainly have a look at this.
Played around a bit earlier, and mostly had it working - but think I went a different route - so will look closely at what you did, and take things from there.