Scrivenings Separator add extra space

Working in the screenplay template: from what I understand you’re supposed to be able to create separate documents in the binder for individual scenes and then group them into folders (act 1, act 2, etc.). I assume this is the same in the novel template with chapters. The issue is then when you try and read the scenes combined (either by clicking on the folder they’re contained in, or highlighting the scenes in the binder), Scrivener adds a dashed line between the scenes AS WELL as an extra space (I believe it’s called a header or separator). I understand you can get rid of these when you export the script, but the problem is that these extra spaces completely throw off the page count compared to the PDF. Is there no way to get rid of these extra spaces while working on the doc so you can have an accurate representation about which page you’re actually on without having to export the entire script? Not only do you not have a realistic page count, but if ever trying to compare the PDF to your document in Scrivener, such as when receiving notes from someone, everything will be shifted and be on completely different pages because of these extra spaces.

Short answer: set the separator to Corners:

Preferences>Appearance>Scrivenings>Scrivenings Separator>Scriptwriting>Corners

Longer answer:

Screenwriters have to put up with some limitations in order to use Scrivener’s powerful organization features. One of the biggies is that Scrivener doesn’t have a fully-functional screenwriting text processor. It doesn’t have one, and it’s never going to get one. L&L has made that clear.

One of the results of this is that Scrivener doesn’t do pagination for screenplay correctly in a number of ways. The Page View just gives you an approximation of how your scenes fit on a page. It’s more about did you write 4 pages instead of 2, rather than where does the page break hit in that long speech.

If you set the Scrivenings Separator to Corners, it reduces the extra space added to the minimum. It makes Scrivener’s pagination a bit more accurate.

I recommend downloading a free copy of WriterSolo as an adjunct to Scrivener. WriterSolo is the non-cloud, single writer version of WriterDuet. It’s a completely free professional screenwriting app that has the unique feature of being compatible with Scrivener’s clipboard. That means you can cut and paste script pages back and forth between the apps without losing any formatting.

If you really want to see your page count, copy a group of Scrivenings and paste them into WriterSolo. Of course, you have to use a template in WS that matches your final output format.

HTH

Thank you so much for that detailed reply. Yes, I’ve tried the corners thing but it still adds a weird space to the top of the first page that shifts everything down. This seems like such a simple coding fix, and it’s really unthinkable how this hasn’t been addressed in 3 version of this software. Having a two step process just to get accurate page count is a deal breaker and it’s such a shame that a software that can do so much right, can drop the ball on something so basic and necessary. I now understand why nobody really uses this program for screenwriting.

I’m on the last 6th day of the trail version of Scrivener.

As a research and novel writing application, it’s a great tool. However, I write screenplays.
The fact that I have to use a second screenplay application to just have the exact standard, (1 minutes) per page count has become a big disappointment.
Although, this feature has been in the wish list of users since early 2006, this means that it seems to be that there is no hope for the users, nor intention of the programmers —accordingly with the user manual— to implement the page count in the screenplay mode of Scrivener. This is the reason why the software is rejected by TV and feature film writer collaborators, where 15 and 30 seconds are the equivalent of a commercial.

Meanwhile, I’m looking now for another alternative.

Willian Aleman

Correction: 2016

The developers have been pretty clear that they are not interested in fixing the screenwriting features in Scrivener. That’s why I found the workaround to use WriterSolo to do the heavy lifting on screenplay typing, and use Scrivener for organization. it’s awesome at that.

Hey, I’m happy that I found a professional screenwriting app that can cut and paste back and forth with Scrivener. WriterSolo is the only app that can do it. Without that ability, you’re reduced to round-tripping FDX files, and it really does get burdensome.