Scrivner Link: Add new document

Current method:
When we right-click on a highlighted word(s) one of the options we get is “Scrivener Link”. This gives us the ability to navigate to some folder and then link that highlighted word to some document within that folder.

But what if the target document does not yet exist?

To create the link we need to pull out of our working document, navigate to the target folder, create the new target document and then go back to the working document to create the link.

Suggestion:
I think it would be useful to allow us to use the “Scrivener Link” dropdown menu to navigate to the target folder and then click an option to “Create New Document” within it as the target of the link. The ability to “Create New Folder” would be useful, too.

That would be great for those of us who use the Scrivener Link capability for creating new links of the fly.

Thanks!

The first thing I would do is check your Scrivener version. If you’re running an old version you may not have the feature to do the following:

1. Select the text you wish to link to a presently non-existent document.
  2. Right-click on the text and select “New Link…” from the top of the sub-menu.
  3. Give the target document a name, and choose a location from the drop-down menu.
  4. Click OK.

To be fair to the OP, when I see “New Link” I don’t think a new document will be created, just that a new link will be created. Good to know that this is what serves that function, though, even if it feels a little poorly named.

The window is not exclusively for linking to documents created on the fly. There is a second tab that lets you select an existing document from a browser view. The idea there is that since this panel has a shortcut it provides an alternative mechanism to drilling down through binder-based sub-menu systems with the mouse.