Scroll bar in fullscreen mode

This might seem an odd thing to ask, but is it possible to turn off the scroll bar when in fullscreen mode? I find it distracting. It would also be nice if there’s a way to have the word count displayed. My ideal full screen text editor is one that’s Windows only… it’s called Q10. It just seems to do everything right. In my mind, Scrivener’s full screen mode isn’t quite there yet.

Unless, of course, I’m missing the relevant options in Preferences.

Scrivener>Preferences>Full Screen scroller type.

You can drop your mouse to the bottom of the screen for the little dashboard-like tool bar to pop up, it contains your word count. You can also use the Project Targets as a floating box to keep track of your word count; it will still appear in full screen mode. (Also if you right click for the context menu and choose Writing Tools, the word count will show up in there, but that seems unnecessarily complicated if you’re going to be doing it often. It will give a word “x of y” count, though, if that’s relevant to you.)

Excellent! Thanks for the help on turning the scroll bar off.

I find the Projects Target box a bit obtrusive though. Shame there isn’t a way to just have the word count displayed somewhere fairly small, so you can you see it at all times without having to interrupt the writing flow to hover over the bottom of the screen.

Actually, I’ve found one way of keeping the word count visible, and that’s just to leave the mouse pointer at the bottom of the screen. I don’t mind all the other stuff being there, as the bar at the bottom doesn’t distract my eye.

Yup! That’s exactly the intention. If you want to watch counts while writing just leave that control strip open. But do note this isn’t really an alternative to the project target window. The latter tracks… well as you would expect, your entire project. :slight_smile: The control strip just tracks your current editor view.

It’s okay, I’m not too bothered about seeing the overall project target when in fullscreen mode. That’s something I can look at later to get an idea of progress. With fullscreen, I tend to think to myself, “Right! 1000 words!” and hammer away until I reach the target.

Precisely; the idea is that in full screen you should be less worried about the whole book and more worried about the section you are working on; hence there is much less offered to you in terms of project management and tracking.