Search and replace paragraph mark in windows version

For the mac version it is possible to search (and replace) paragraph marks by using the option-return key combination, but I cannot find a way to do this in the windows version. Or I would like to search for ". " and replace this with a paragraph mark so that I can split complex paragraphs into separate lines for reassembly. Is this possible in scrivener for windows? Or, do I have to copy and paste to word, do the surgery, and paste back into scrivener :frowning:.
Thanks for any info, and please forgive me if I have missed something I should have seen.

Unfortunately, at the moment you do have to use a program that can search for various whitespace characters. We of course would like to provide this feature as well; it just requires a lot of technical work and is fairly low priority since it is easy to copy and paste text to something that can make the desired edit, and then back.

Dear Amber, thank you for your reply. I will just have to wait.
I have a quite naughty request, which I think would be possible on the windows platform but not readily so on the mac. It is that scrivener allow to assign an external editor to write the text within a panel. Ultra Recall allows this, and for this programme, I have set MS word as the external editor. Word seems to me to be without parallel for the sort of paragraph chopping, sentence reorganizing that scientific scholarly work often requires. It is not unusual to spend 1 or 2 days on the paragraph construction for an abstract for a Nature paper, for example. So would it be possible to assign word as the editor. The problem then might be that the windows version of Scrivener would be more nimble/flexible than the mac version which I think might be not politically correct.
Living in hope.

Ah, have no fear. We aren’t opposed to taking advantage of what the OS provides, where it provides an advantage. In fact, the Mac has superb tools for sort of thing, and there is a tool I use called QuickCursor that does what you describe, only I use it to bring text into hardcore plain-text editors like Vim (which I consider to be the superb state of pure textual control :slight_smile: ). You can hook any editor up to any valid text field—even a URL field in the browser, or this box I’m typing in.

Taking a look at Ultra Recall, it looks to me as though this is more of a general purpose research and information organisation tool. Am I to assume that what it does is then within the application entirely? it can load a Word widget into itself and let you type in that, rather than loading a piece of the interface in Word and waiting for a save event to update the text in Ultra Recall? If so that might be more difficult for us to do. We’re using a cross-platform toolkit to create Scrivener, so sometimes it doesn’t as easily combine with Windows native stuff. If you could point me to where I should be looking in the Ultra Recall demo, that would be helpful.

I can say that if that is what it is doing, we would not be inclined to follow suit. The problem is, we do some stuff in Scrivener—and we have more things of this nature planned—which are proprietary to the engine. Scrivener Links, for instance, which let you create a text link from one document to another, would not work at all in Word (or a Word widget running in Scrivener). Running another word processor inside of a Scrivener editor pane would provide too much risk for damaging your own files.

Of course, this risk exists with external files as well. If I take a Scrivener pane and edit it in Vim using my tool, I have to know to avoid and/or accept that some things will get lost when I save the changes. But since this is an external tool, it is my responsibility to take care of those details and work around the special features. The situation would be entirely different if we sanctioned this activity right inside of the application. I would then be trusting the software to manage these details, and that is unfortunately not technically possible.

One thing you might consider: a lot of our more experienced users will in fact take Scrivener all the way down to the paragraph level. The outline in Scrivener doesn’t dictate that you use it in any particular fashion. If you wish to break up a section in great detail so that each piece of it can be moved around, or accentuated by meta-data in the Inspector, then you may do so.

Hello Amber,
I don’t remember how I set it to edit office files internally but clip from the kinook forum shows that you can set the options for the programme to do just that (I think via internet explorer somehow)

" How to configure Office documents for internal editing
Configure Ultra Recall

In UR, go to Tools | Options | Browser | File Extensions to display in internal browser, and add the extensions for the Office documents to be edited inside UR (i.e, .doc, .xls, .ppt, .docx, .xlsx, etc.). For Office 2007+ XML document formats (i.e., .docx;.xlsx;.pptx), also add .zip to this field.

If the document should be opened editable, also add the extensions to Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to open stored documents writeable (all Office documents are in this list by default).

Now, when a document with those extension(s) is opened (either an item in UR that was imported, or when opening such a file in the browser or via the Address toolbar), it will be opened within the UR detail pane. Windows may prompt about opening a downloaded document the first time; to prevent the prompt in the future, uncheck the Always ask checkbox and click Open.

Configure Windows/Office

If the document still opens externally after configuring the above setting, ensure that Windows/IE is configured to edit the documents within the browser: Start Explorer (Win+E), select Tools | Folder Options | File Types, navigate to the extension (i.e., DOC) in the list, and select it. Click Advanced, and if the Browse in same window checkbox is not checked, check it. Finally, OK all the dialogs.

Note: The File Types tab has been removed in Windows Vista and later, requiring the Browse in same window setting to be configured manually in the registry. See here for more details:
Office 2007: support.microsoft.com/kb/927009
Office 2010: support.microsoft.com/kb/982995

Alternatively, download this file and double-click in Explorer: kinook.com/Download/Misc/Office.reg "

As I said it is important to be able to break paragraphs into lines and reassemble, like a single pane outliner within each window or word can do it. Also, the ongoing issue of word back and forth corrections for multi-author papers would maybe also be helped. As David Hewson has said on his blog this seems also to be an issue even for some fiction authors if they have to deal with multiple editorial changes. In the academic world, where there are normally many authors and many iterations of editor, reviewer induced changes, it becomes a googol of sorrows. At one time I thought that writing outliner would be the solution, but that seems to have gone belly up. I had hoped that scrivener for windows could perhaps do a better job - sort of a copy of a copy (since writ outliner seems to have copied a lot of the scrive look & feel) but with scrivener elegance and the ms word editing slide in and out niftiness.