Search function unintentionally activates highlighter?

Hello everyone at LL!

I had posted this as a reply to an old post but am afraid it did not show up as new. So I take the liberty of posting it again as a new thread:

Even though this post is 12 yrs old, I happen to have the same problem. After updating to Mac OS Big Sur and also updating Scrivener to the latest version, my search window does pretty much what Carradee reported 12 yrs ago: When I search for a term and hit Enter (which closes the search window), the corresponding term is highlighted in system color. But when I move on (e.g. by hitting arrow keys), the highlighting remains, now black. Just as if I had used the highlighting button in the font size / bold / italic etc. bar. So after each earch, I have to hit Cmd+Z to undo the highlighting…

When I use the search without hitting Enter but using the mouse and the next/previous buttons, the problem does not occur. But that would be a rather annoying workaround, as it requires too many clicks to get back to the text.

A bug again? Or can I change this in the search/highlight options? I have never changed anything there, and would not even know where to go…

Are you using Project Search - at the top of the Binder, or the Quick Search function, or the Find function?

In the case of Project Search the search term will remain highlighted until you click the x to close the search results.

In the other two cases the search term will remain highlighted until you click elsewhere in the document. The highlighting should not persist after you click.

Which versions of Scrivener and macOS are you using?