Search/Replace for page break

I’d like to use some symbol in Word before each chapter title that can be replaced with a page break in Scrivener. Is that possible? I’ve never done anything like that.

The Word content will be pasted into Scrivener.

Well, if what you are looking for is literally page breaks, you might as well just insert a page break in Word. Those will copy over into Scrivener (though granted they will be invisible in the standard editor view, use View/Page View/Show Page View to see where page breaks fall, or Format/Options/Show Invisibles to see the code symbol for them).

But if by page breaks you mean to just break it up into individual file sections in the Binder when importing, you could use any sequence of characters you want. “-----” for example would work well. The trick is to use File/Import/Import and Split... and supply that break code.

I tried page break inserts (in Apple Pages) and then copied that into Scrivener and compiled into epub. In the Kindle Previewer, the page breaks aren’t there.

Oh, sorry I didn’t know that was the output intention. Page breaks aren’t the best tool for e-books in Scrivener. It is better to convert sections into individual files in the Binder. Inserting page breaks into files that are meant to be more than one section will have undesirable results.

So as I suggested as an alternative, using a sequence you type in and then “Import and Split” so that you have individual files that can be set to be sections in the e-book will be best.

That really mangled the manuscript. I had it split in ##, which I placed before each chapter. It split on all kinds of stuff.

Either way, exporting into a docx from Pages and importing/fixing Scrivener issues will add a lot of time to my workflow.

Copy/paste from Pages to Scrivener is faster. I just manually insert page breaks within Scrivener and those work (at least in Kindle Previewer). Is there some reason to believe that won’t keep working?

Right, you need to use a unique sequence that cannot be confused with anything else that only means “section break”. As for what is most efficient, yes that depends on how many spits there are. If there are only one or two of them, copy and paste might prove sufficient, but if there are several hundred, obviously some kind of automation will be best. Either way will require clean-up, but fortunately this is usually only an initial problem. Once you start working in Scrivener as a starting point for your work, this sort of hassle will be seen as a unavoidable phase.

If you take a look at the automatically generated ToC, or the NCX ToC in Kindle Previewer, you may see some issues resulting from multiple page break characters being used to create sections when compiling to e-books. In particular, the software cannot guess at what these sections are meant to be called, so they will just all use the same file title from the Binder, resulting in multiple chapter entries for the same chapter.

Ok, I see some of the issue of why it split that way. I have text like this:

PROFILE #1
Employment Info

But I’m asking Scrivener to split on ##. Does it not distinguish between one # vs two?

Yes, it would distinguish between ‘##’ and ‘#’. I myself cannot reproduce this particular problem in my testing. I create a new document in Pages with the following content:

[code]PROFILE #1
Employment Info

Something more.

PROFILE #2
Blah blah many more things to say.

PROFILE #3
This should be in the second document now.[/code]

I then saved it as a Word Document copy (DOC) and used File/Import/Import and Split.. to bring it into a new blank test project in Scrivener.

This resulted in the following Binder structure, with the contents as displayed in Scrivenings mode, in the editor:

Of note, the profile headers are left alone (though the first line will result in the automatic name of the document, but that is easy enough to change after importing. The ‘##’ was detected and removed, replaced by a cut to a new section file.

I tried it again. Apparently I used only one hash tag the first time. The second time it worked great. Thanks!