searchable text markers

del

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your suggestion. The thing is, though, that I implemented annotations for exactly the purposes for which you are asking for markers. :frowning: I use annotations to make notes for “Delete this”, “Think of a better way of putting this”, etc, just as you are suggesting. Is there any reason that you can’t use the Annotation Finder (under the Find menu)? This will go through your text search for annotations. Admittedly, it will find all annotations, and not just by colour, but getting it to search by colour would be nearly impossible. Not from a developer standpoint, but from a user standpoint. You would have to define which colour you wanted to search for - but given that you can apply any colour to an annotation, you would have to pick the colour you wanted to search from from the colour picker, which would be nearly impossible! The other alternative would be a “search for current annotation colour only” checkbox in the annotation finder panel. This could read the colour of the currently selected annotation and search for that one only. This would mean that you would need to find an annotation of the colour you wanted to start search for before you begin your search, though, which would be awkward. Scrivener would not be able to remember the colour of all the annotations you used, either, because this information is stored on a file-by-file bases inside the project package.

Oh, and I don’t agree that applying colours to annotations is difficult at all. All you have to do is hit shift-cmd-C to bring up the colour picker panel and choose your colour whilst the cursor is inside the annotation.

All the best,
Keith

del

You say that you have to export with annotations intact because you are using annotations as part of the text. But I thought you were using annotations for things such as “Delete this”, “Rewrite this”? Why would you need to export this.

I’m still confused on why you would anything more, aside from the fact that you may want to search for specific types of annotations. Sorry, I think I am misunderstanding you.

All the best,
Keith

del

I think you did. :slight_smile: Searching by the five predefined highlight colours may well be something I could add - “Highlight Finder” or some such. How does that strike you? Probably for beta 4, of course.

All the best,
Keith

del

del

Hi,

As for the cmd-shift-H issue, the new beta has shortcut keys for all five highlighter colours, something like shift-cmd-1 to 5, if I recall correctly.

As for the other stuff… I think this just over-complicates highlighting. I can’t make Scrivener suit the idiosyncratic working methods of just one user, you know. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Actually, thinking about it, what I could set up is so that you could have a text field next to each highlight colour in the Highlight Finder, when I implement it. That way, you could write in the meaning for each highlight right there, so that it would be there to remind you which one is which before you start searching. That would probably be a good (and easy) solution.
All the best,
Keith

del

Yesss…searcheable highlightssss…

And just in case it got lost, something like this would be Swank! --and familiar to any Mac user.

If you ever do implement a “bookmark” type feature, though, I would suggest something like TextMate’s bookmark. Press Cmd-F2, and it places a little star in front of the line. Same key to toggle it off. Then F2 by itself scrolls through all existing bookmarks. Something simple and light would best for such a thing. For any type of marking that requires an information side, I do think highlights and annotations are very well off the way they are – and searchable highlight would seal the deal.

Maria: On the topic of textually marking intention, as you know I do this, but I keep them short. DEL for “delete”, ?DEL for “delete?”, !DEL for “delete this ist is HORRIBLE”, RWRI for “rewrite,” OOC for “This character is acting in a way that is out of character”, and so on. I have about twenty or so of them for different cases. I’ve slowly built up the list over the years, so it is ingrained in my head these days. ALT just rolls of my fingers when I mean “alternate prose fragment.”

So, not trying to convert you persay, just demonstrating that textual input can certainly be made easier. Especially if you use it all of the time. The best thing about such a system is that it is very portable, being text. I have thousands of pages of material to convert to Scrivener from Ulysses. I’ve created scripts to turn Ulysses notes into Scrivener annotations, but if I had not have used those text markers to indicate what the note was actually about, it would have been a massive chore! It is something to consider. We all hope Scrivener will last a lifetime, but there may come a day when you can no longer use a Mac for whatever reason, and if you strictly used colour coded annotations or whatever – that information might get lost.

del

del

Are you fu&%ing kidding me? Searchable highlights? I had long ago filed this away as an unsolvable problem of the “we can send a man to the moon but we can’t cure the common cold” variety. If you can pull this off you deserve the Nobel for coding.

E.

Yeah, I can wait a week or two for that. :slight_smile:

I would rather have the Nobel for literature, but alas, it has long since been a joke in my household that my Great Novel is going to solve all of our problems:

“Keith, we’re short of money…”
“Don’t sweat it. When the film rights for my novel are optioned, we’ll be sorted. I mean, that is, after my novel has been published. After I’ve finished it, of course. Look, after I’ve started my novel…”

As the actress said to the bishop: phwwwoooarr.