Searching For Repeats

I am relatively new to Scrivener for Windows. I have been on this forum a few times. I have recently escalated my writing time. I am wanting to do something with the software that I am not certain as to practicality. Thus, I seek the forum’s help and input.

In my novel I want to want to place a tag (so to speak) before every character conversation and every character thought location within the novel. My two choices are (CV) and (TH). Those are exactly the formats that I would use.

Informal examples might be: (CV) Jim and Mary started to discuss the matter with Jim presenting his viewpoint first.
(TH) Jim wondered if Mary would ever get straight to the point.

I then want to do a search for all (CV) [character conversation] locations in the novel. I would then like a list to become visible that shows all of the (CV)'s in the entire novel. Then I can go to each recalled instance, upon demand, review the content, and adjust the writing/punctuation etc. Then delete or status color upon completion.

Likewise repeat for (TH)'s.

Am I off the wall here or is there potentially a solution/method to my madness?

Thanks,
Dekade

Have you tried using keywords? You can create and assign keywords per scene using the key tab in the inspector. But it sounds a bit like you want to have the tag in-text, or at least have the results come back directly with text? The only idea I have for that is to put the (cv) tag in front of your dialogue/inner monologue and use the search function :confused:

You’re kind of on the right track with your suggestions. I was hoping to place the tags (CV) and (TH) throughout the novel. Respective tags would precede their conversation or thought. Ultimately, I was then hoping to perform a search. For example: I would type in (CV). Then Scrivener would locate all instances throughout the novel where the (CV) was located. I don’t know how Scrivener would let me know [display] all of the (CV) locations. Nonetheless, I could click on a search find and then be taken to that location in the novel. Then I could study that content, revise, and then remove the tag. Then either go back to the search list or perform another search, select a find result, and repeat the editing process.

I have played around with the project keywords aspect and it does return a search sidebar list. It returns a list that shows the scene title. Is there POSSIBLY any way to for the search to return the first few words of each conversation or thought?

OR could I possibly create two tags like (CV+) and (CV-). I would place the (CV+) at the beginning of a respective text area and the (CV-) at the end of the same respective text area. But then how would I type in a search to bring up all the locations that have text in-between those two tags?

I know this all is a little complicated, but yet, in my opinion, it is a great idea for my my needs if I can get something to work. I don’t know if anybody else sees a value to it or not.

This sounds like a job for a regular expression (regex) search engine.

Could you not place your (CV) and (TH) etc. tags in inline annotations, at any and every point that you need them—I know Ioa (AmberV) does this in a slightly more sophisticated manner—and then search for them as necessary using “Project Search”, clicking on the magnifying-glass icon in the search bubble and making sure it searched in “Text” and for “Exact phrase”. I presume that you are unlikely to find that combination of characters anywhere else in your documents.

I know that would work on the Mac; it’d probably be a bit more of a hassle on Windows until v.3 comes out as ‘Scrivenings View’ is currently not the same under Windows. The thing about using inline annotations is that when you compile, you can set the compiler to remove inline annotations; see the compiler ‘Footnotes & Comments’ pane.

Just a suggestion.

Mark