Searching Mac for all Scrivener projects

Is there any way to search a Mac for all Scrivener projects? Since they don’t nowadays have .scriv after the name, I can’t use that to find them all.

I use kind:Scrivener Project as a saved search in Finder to act as a (Spotlight) smart folder for all my scrivener document.

And I think you need to turn on Finder > Prefs > Advanced > Show all filename extensions? I see all my scriv documents with .scriv…

Thanks, nontroppo; the kind:Scrivener Project didn’t work (maybe it was the space between ‘Scrivener’ and ‘Project’ that foxed it), but turning on the extensions did.

Right, I’ve transferred all except two of these results into where they should be. (Most were in the right place, but one or two had strayed off into a folder from which I’d been importing stuff, for some reason.)

The two I’m doubtful about are a folder called ‘Stories test.scriv Recovered’ and ‘Sample project.scriv recovered’. They contain .rtf and .txt files. The stories in ‘Stories test’ are probably stories I wrote at some point, but I’m not sure why they’re in .rtf format and why the folder has a .scriv extension, but is ‘recovered’. The original stories seem to be in another project anyway; maybe they were a test of compiling or something; I’m inclined to trash these two folders…?

I’ll leave the RECOVERED files for someone more qualified to answer (though I wouldn’t trash them until I was sure I had their contents backed up, they sound like some recovery process after a crash).

kind:Scrivener is enough to get spotlight to search for Scrivener files though…

Very odd. I looked for all .scriv files on the new computer and got 106. Then I closed Scrivener, shut down the compeer, switched on the old computer and looked for .scriv files and got 106.

Then I shut down the old computer and switched on the new one and looked for .scriv files, and this time got 85.

Then I went out and cleared a couple of spots in the garden of nettles to calm down.

Is there any way to print the list of files in a Finder window, d’you know?

ps: searching for kind:Scrivener finds 128 items.

The “Recovered” folders you found in Documents are created whenever Scrivener had to abort out of the project for one reason or another. Basically, it’s anything that was still in the auto-save queue. If Scrivener feels it can’t save stuff into the project, it dumps all of the stuff that needs to be saved into these folders instead. So it’s worth going through them before you trash them, but at this point they may be very old. :slight_smile:

Back in the day you used to be able to print Finder windows no problem. For some mysterious reason, Apple has made it so that File/Print now basically just opens the file. :question: I’m not sure what they were thinking when they considered that to be a useful result when we have File/Open right there, but oh well. :slight_smile:

I guess select all of the files in the window and copy and paste them into a text editor (avoid TextEdit “rich text” mode for this)—even pasting into a Scrivener editor works fine. You can then print from there.

Thanks, Io; apparently you can print a Finder window if it’s a folder - you open your print queue and drag it on, and that prints it. But this doesn’t work if it’s not a folder but a search results list.

I’ve now tried that kind:Scrivener search on the old machine and got 128 as well. Will shut it down and try the search again on the new machine, and see if it’s still claiming that 128 is the magic number.

Edit: yes, it’s now saying it has 128 too. What are all these! So I think I’m sorted. Oh, except for one thing. Is there any way of looking for kind:Scrivener and projects including a particular word?

You might save all Scrivener projects (or their aliases) to a folder called Scrivener Projects.
And in Mavericks you may create & search for file tags.
I keep file extensions turned on and run a Saved Search for filenames ending in .scriv

For more complex searches, I use these utilities:

File Buddy 10: skytag.com/index.html
Leap and/or Yep: ironicsoftware.com/

Do you know about File Juicer? It will open broken text/image files and extract the contents.
echoone.com/filejuicer/

Thanks, druid - that sounds great, especially FileJuice.
I have all the Scrivener stuff in a Scrivener folder, but it’s broken down into newspaper work, editing, fiction, biography, and so on.

Why do some projects have backups, and others don’t? At least, some projects have another file with the same name and ‘Backup’ after the name, while others don’t.

And why are some Scrivener projects listed as documents and some as folders in the results of that Finder search?

If you’ve been using Scrivener since the 1.x days, then those are just your old backups from when you upgraded to 2.x. When that came out, the project format was updated and a backup was created (in the old 1.x format) just in case something went wrong with the update. Given that, you can likely get rid of them at this point as they have outlived their purpose.

Theoretically that should be impossible unless you’ve removed the “.scriv” from the end of some projects’ file name. That would cause it to become a folder since the Mac would no longer know it is special. To the system, it isn’t a “Scrivener Project” unless it has that extension (whether or not it otherwise is save for the naming convention).

If you’re just talking about the recovered folders, as discussed above, these aren’t projects. They are just fragments of text that Scrivener saved in a panic shut-down. You should review and discard them at your convenience.

No, I’m talking about the projects that came up in search results when I searched for kind:Scrivener. There’ll be a project called, say, ‘Stories.scriv’ and another called ‘Stories backup.scriv’. Both Scrivener projects.

Separately, which of the Scrivener projects is described in the Finder window as a folder and which as a document seems random - both ancient and brand-new exist in both. I wouldn’t have removed the filename myself, as far as I can remember; if I did it would have been in the old gods’ day.

Edit: by the way, there are two ‘backup’ projects that don’t have a non-‘backup’ version.

I’ve trashed all of the ‘backup’ projects that have a file of the same name (though haven’t emptied the Trash). Crossing fingers.

Am I all right to trash these name.backup.scriv files permanently? And what do I do about the one that has only a name.backup.scriv version and not a name.scriv version?

I’d suggest that you make a copy (with the finder), to some other name, and then attempt to open that copy in Scrivener. If it’s indeed a version 1 project, then Scrivener 2 should create a backup and update the project. If it just opens, then you can keep the “backup” project (renaming it to remove the backup part) and trash the other copy.

By the way, your search for “kind: Scrivener” might be picking up on some things it’s not supposed to (I’m just guessing here). Try typing “.scriv” in the search field–it should present you with two options at that point; files containing .scriv, and “kind: Scrivener projects”. Click on the kind, and that will guarantee that only what you’re looking for actually shows up in the search. Once again, this is just speculation; the results may be identical, but that’s how I set up my saved search.

No, even though I’ve asked the system to show full path names there are a lot of these files that have no .scriv after them. (Both the ones calling themselves documents and the ones calling themselves folders.)
They are also a mix of projects from the two versions of Scrivener.

I’ve done as suggested and opened the ‘backup’ project with no original project; it opened, said it was an old format and asked did I want to update it. I said yes and it updated and opened. Then I closed it and renamed it and it seems happy.

I’ve found something a little strange. If I duplicate one of the Scrivener projects that’s listed as a folder, the duplicate is shown as Document rather than Folder.
Edit: the duplicate also has a .scriv suffix.

As I said earlier, if you have something like this:

My Novel.scriv My Novel Backup.scriv

Then this project was started in 1.x, and you later opened it in 2.x (or potentially both are very old as there was one project format update in 1.x, I believe). Whatever the case, the “Backup” file here is still in 1.x format—hence you were asked if you wish to update it when you opened it. You presumably now have:

My Novel.scriv My Novel Backup.scriv My Novel Backup Backup.scriv

Now the third one is 1.x, and the other two are 2.x, while the middle 2.x one, which was previously your 1.x backup, is probably very out of date (the state this project was in when you upgraded to 2.x and first opened the project with it). So again, if you’ve successfully transitioned out of 1.x, and these files you updated have all been worked on and are fine, there isn’t much reason to keep the old 1.x copies around. At most, just stash them all into a folder somewhere, call it “OLD SCRIVENER 1 PROJECTS” so you know there is really never going to be a reason to go in there, and close the tomb. :slight_smile:

To reiterate, this only applies to files following the naming convention described above. This does not apply to files named “something.backup.scriv”, as you referenced earlier. Scrivener didn’t make a file like that, so unless you know why you made it, I don’t know if I’d be so hasty to throw it away. But that’s just me.

How are you coming to that conclusion, do you have Finder set to show the “Kind” column, and are reading the words “Folder” and “Document” in that column?

Thanks, I think I’m sorted now. (I may have misstated the name as containing dots - it would have been “MyNovel backup.scriv”, with a space between ‘MyNovel’ and ‘backup’, not a dot.)
They all seem to be opening ok with all the right bits, so I’m just trashing the unwanted ones.
Yes, I had the Finder window set to show them by kind.
My technical adviser :wink: tells me that what I should have done is do a ‘get info’ on one of the ones claiming to be a document, if that was what I wanted, and tell it to treat all similar files this way; apparently it’s a little bit of confusion in the database of my computer.

Ah, yeah the way the Mac handles associated applications with files can be a bit cranky. It’s nice because you can have a system default, but override that for individual cases. For instance if you still have Scrivener 1.54 installed, you could set one of those backups to open in it instead of what all of the other .scriv files do.

But, that kind of individualistic flair can also lead to issues like you describe, where some files end up unattached to anything. Easy fix, as you note. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help, lads.