Second-hand report: Inspector Modified date display bug

Another writer asked me about an odd bug in her Scrivener project. The Modified date says November 5 in her Inspector, even if she edits the file (today it should be displaying Nov 25). I double-checked, and switching between created and modified dates in the Inspector metadata does not fix this. In outline mode, the modified dates display correctly in the “Modified” outliner column.

Was this a bug in the most recent non-beta version? She doesn’t seem all that concerned with it, so she probably won’t bother reporting it. I haven’t seen this kind of bug in a quick search of the forums, so this is more of a curiosity than a concern so far. FYI, my projects display this information correctly, but I’m running the Beta.

Hi Robert,

This sounds very much as though your friend may have been hit by the scrivenings autosave bug - is she working scrivenings mode, and has she had the project open for more than a couple of days? The fact that the modification date isn’t changing suggests that things aren’t being saved. Before she closes Scriv, please ask her to open each document in non-scrivenings mode, make a change to the text and save (e.g. type a letter then delete it, then save) to force saving to work on these documents. And get her to run the latest beta, too.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Actually no, she didn’t even know about Scrivenings mode. I had to show her how to pop into and out of it and outline mode, where we verified that the modification date IS being recorded, just not displayed properly in the inspector.

Weird. Did you see it for yourself? And she definitely has “Modified date” displayed? Could you take a video? She doesn’t have the inspector locked to the other editor does she? I can’t think of anything else that would cause this…
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Yeah, it was definitely the Modified date that wasn’t updating. I had her switch between modified and created dates. The time (hour, min) changed, but the date for both was Nov 5 on the file we were observing, even after she typed a couple of words and autosave kicked in.

I was leaning over to look at her screen, so I might have missed that her inspector was locked to another file… I’ll send her a message and ask her to check that. I don’t know if she feels the urgency necessary to create a video, but I’ll encourage her to do so if she’s willing and has the know-how. If I see her again anytime soon, I’ll ask if she minds me creating a couple of screenshots or something.