Section Types - Quick Question

Hi there,

In Scrivener 3, we have the very nice Section Types. These are incredibly useful and much better than the way it was before. However, can anyone explain the difference as to why some section types are in regular type and some are in italics?

Kind Regards

I think it’s because of this…

Version 2 used to compile documents based on their position in the binder - level 1 folders etc.

Version 3 allows you to do something a bit similar but more flexible, called Structure Based Section types. If you go to Project > Project Settings > Section Types > Default Types by Structure, you’ll see you can still allocated specific section types to Folders, Document Groups, and Documents. This means that any new folder / document etc picks up the correct section type by its place in the structure.

But you can also create and allocate section types which don’t relate to their place in the hierarchy - for an abstract at the start of a chapter for example. In V2 you’d have had to play around with levels/types to format this: in V3 you just create the abstract section type and allocate it to the relevant documents in the binder.

I think that the Inspector shows section types which have automatically allocated by structure in italics. If you’ve allocated a section specifically to that document, it will be in regular text. Tick the Structure-based option and it will revert back to italics.

That’s what I think’s happening, anyway.

Do you mean in the Inspector dropdown menu? This depends on whether you enable or disable “Structure-based” (italicised when it is enabled). §7.6.1 of the user manual explains this in more detail…

I think I understand. I’ll check that section in the manual. Thanks everyone.

The tutorial also has a concise description and interactive exercise of how section types work (in the part called “Section Types”, of all things), and how you can go about getting them automatically assigned based on the layout of the outline.

Looks like everyone here has you covered (and that section in the tutorial is very useful), but in short: if a section type is italicised, it means that you haven’t assigned a particular section type to the document, and it is just using the default type for its place in the binder based on “Default Type by Structure” in Project Settings (as brookter says); if it’s not italicised, it means the section type has been assigned manually, overriding defaults.

“Default Type by Structure” is there so that you don’t have to manually assign section types for every document in your project - you can set it so that, say, folders at level 1 are “Part Heading”, folders at level 2 are “Chapter Heading” and all text documents are “Scene”. But then if you have a document on any of those levels that is something different, you can switch its section type manually. That was something that was never possible in Scrivener 2: you had to set up everything by outline level; that, or set “Compile As-Is” and format in the editor. But Scrivener 3 makes it so that you just set the defaults by level as a convenience - you have complete control to tell Scrivener what each document is.

Thanks, Keith. Much appreciated.