Seeing all docs that have Doc Notes

Is there a view where I can see all documents in a project that have Document Notes? I’ve been using Document Notes to tell me things to consider on this or that document and would like to be able to see in a single view where I indeed have Document Notes.

I don’t think there’s a built-in way, but you can fake it relatively easily if you always include a specific tag / word / marker in the notes. (E.g. start all notes with “Note:”).

Then you can use Project Search (ctl-opt-F) with the filter set to Notes and the search item to “Note:”. This will create a new collection, which you can make into a saved search.

HTH

David

If you are confident you have no notes with only one word it them you can search Notes as suggested above, but search for a single .

An alternative if you’re not sure is to save an “any words” search for:
a b c d e f g i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
(The any words search will find ‘a’ if the letter is used, not just the word ‘a’ so as long as you have not Notes that are just punctuation and numbers that’ll pick 'em up).

PS… to save time you can enter your search as q w e r t y u… etc, but I figured the above example is more illustrative of the point!

Thanks. I have saved search for

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

which now does what I want.

Alternatively, you could just set up the search for “*”. An asterisk on its own in the search field is treated as a wildcard - so searching for the asterisk in notes will bring up all documents that have notes text.

All the best,
Keith

I wondered about using an asterisk wild card but forgot to try it. That’s nicer. Thanks.

For info, the asterix wildcard search doesn’t work on the Windows version, so those collections / saved searches won’t work if you share the project across the platforms.

How do you Mac users use search if you want to find which of your documents have asterisks in them? :wink:

Could you add a keyword to documents with notes and then do a keyword search in Windows version?

The “a b c d …” method described above works fine on the Windows version as well as the Mac. It’s just not as quick as typing “*”!

Escape the * by prefixing \

We also employ just a touch of smugness.

Or is that just me? :wink:

Pretty much all of us.

See, I’m learnin’ stuff
:smiley:

I think that means you are not an old dog. Yet.

Prefixing * with \ doesn’t do anything for me over here. I had originally thought it would, though.

ralvy, I believe you have uncovered a bug.

Piggy, my "prefix with " statement is based on the OSX regular expression matching syntax. Which until now has always been the “right thing” when it comes to search in text (I believe KB is using the default search tool which is supposed to use regex). As of right this minute I can tell you my answer was … wait for it … wrong! You should begin abuse now.

Further testing is indicating that regex is not working properly in the search field which means that * is not really searchable.

Indeed - and this isn’t a bug. :slight_smile: Scrivener’s search field does not yet support RegEx. The asterisk - on its own - is a one-off exception. It’s hard-coded so that a single asterisk searched for on its own will indicate any textual content. RegEx search is planned (but not guaranteed, as 3.0 is still a vague inkling) for 3.0.

All the best,
Keith

That is not the kind of support I was looking for!

So could you extend your hardcoding to let * be a search for actual *?

This would require a one char look back to validate the actual escape, but it should be possible.

I could, but what if someone wanted to search for “*”? :wink:

Do you even need wildcards? Given that the search already looks for the defined character string, not a defined character string surrounded by spaces?

Some sort of “not blank” option in the dropdown menu along side the anyword everyword options probably gets you where you need to be?

EDIT: plus I like how we have continued for a page or so after the OP had a successful resolution of his issue!