Seeking some workflow clarity (footnotes,endnotes, indesign)

Hi there,
First and foremost, having tried out Scrivener for the past week, I can say I am very impressed. What an amazing tool for writers. Even if originally designed for Fiction, I think it’ll work very well for my non-fiction books.

I am trying to get my head around aspects of how this will fit in with my workflow.

I’ve looked through previous posts, but still don’t feel clear on my specifics. I’d like to post each hear and ask for any feedback, tips, or suggestions of how to go about it, if that is okay.

I’d like to touch on what I’ve figured out so far, so as to get a second opinion (to check I’ve come up with the best solution), and I’d also like to touch on a couple of things I’m not clear enough on to run with it as a workflow:

1. My editor uses Word for Windows. All my writing will, therefore be edited in MSW with comments and change tracking. It is my understanding I should output all my documents in RTF and my tests show Word will handle these fine, including comments and tracking. I can let comments remain in these files if necessary, and Scriv. will pick them up just fine.

2. I’ll create a sync folder when all the book content is synchronised in RTF. I’ll keep this folder in sync with an online document management system (which is my document interface and version control system with my editor).

3. When it comes time to do the layout with InDesign, I’ll import the final RTF files, mapping whatever styles I have used (just bold, italics, and bold-italics).

The parts I am not so clear on:

A) I’d like to manage footnotes, endnotes, and a bibliography. I’m looking at various apps for this (Bookends, Sente, EndNote X4, Papers, etc.). What I’ve managed to ascertain is that all these apps do their magic work on the RTF files, before I bring them into InDesign. I am yet to figure out how exactly they do that, but I realise this is not a Scrivener issue. I’ll experiment with that soon.

B) I am not sure if there is a way I can work with footnotes and endnotes in Scrivener that will tie in with whichever research/citation/bibliography program I end up running with.

C) Scrivener has an insert Endnote Marker feature. I puts <$—ENDNOTES—> into the text. I can find no reference to this online nor in the PDF user manual. I’d love to understand what this is for and how it is utilised.

I’d greatly appreciate comments on my workflow as outlined in 1-3 above, and also insight on the things I am not clear on as outlined in A-C above.

With thanks,

Inspired

Hi, Inspired,

Fellow Scrivener user here.

Generally speaking, you will probably want to put (what Endnote calls) temporary citations into your Scriv text (or footnotes). These will have a form like:

{Blount #4270, 2009}

or
{Blount #4270, 2009, pg. 325}
etc.

When you compile your Scriv project to rtf, you can have your biblio software process the rtf when open in Word or directly on the rtf and your temp citations will then be put in your chosen citation style and a bibliography inserted at the end of the document.

Greg

P.S. I am an Endnote user and answer out of the knowledge.

There have been quite a few threads on this forum regarding what biblio software people like to use with Scriv and also about workflow with Scriv and such software. So searching around in the Forums may prove helpful to you also.

Greg

Thanks for this info Greg.
I apologise for my tardy reply. I had not noticed that I was not being subscribed to my messages by default. So I was thinking no one had replied.

I’ve made note of what you’ve shared, and I’ll also continue hunting through the forums as suggested.

Regards,

Inspired