Seeking suggestions on how <$toc> will generate a ToC not at the start of an e-book

I’d like a Toc after my front matter in my e-book. I’d like it generated and not hand crafted after Edit > Copy Special > Copy Documents as Structured Link List. Indenting is wished for and the Automatic Numbering before the titles should show.

I’ve used these settings:
ContentsBinder
The document is an empty document with the title "Contents ".

ContentsContents
It’s in the Contents of the compilation.

ContentsSectionLayout

It has a Content Type and a Content Layout with the Content Types “Title” and “Text” ticked. I’ve Assigned the Contents Section Layout to the Contents Section Type.

ContentsSeparators
There’s a Page Break in the Separator’s tab for the Contents Section Layout.

ContentsSettings
The Toc title is to be “Contents”.

and the Result is: Figure 6.
ContentsResult

The Placeholders PDF states this use of the <$toc> Placeholder:

:white_check_mark: Used when compiling ebook formats only.
:white_check_mark: If the <$toc> placeholder appears in an otherwise blank document when compiling to an ebook format and
:white_check_mark: if that document’s title matches the title assigned to the table of contents (in the Compile options)
:white_check_mark: (Tip: Set up your Compile options so that there is a page break before this document and the document’s formatting is not overridden.)
:x: then this document will be replaced with an automatically generated table of contents.

This allows the user to determine where the automatically-generated table of contents should be placed in cases where it is not wanted at the very start of the ebook.

I’d appreciate any advise on why this doesn’t work…

TIA

A suggestion but I can’t test. I’m not on a Windows machine.

For Contents Layout, try adding an ‘after’ break (click the “Override separator after” square box to make the selection menu available):

break

Thanks for the suggestion.
Still a heading and <$toc> on a otherwise blank document at the front of the document.

I was wondering if I was ‘overwriting the document’s formatting’. So I deleted a Style named Contents and the Section Layout named Contents, but to no avail. (See Figure 6)

I do get a nice, indented and numbered ToC when I Exclude the document Contents with the <$toc> Placeholder from Compiling, because the default ‘Generate HTML Table of Contents’ kicks in again. The document is placed at the very beginning of the e-book. Which is not what I’m striving for…

I guess, I can copy the generated HTML ToC to the Contents page with Calibre. I’d rather have that Scrivener did what the Placehodler <$toc> promises…

The only other thing that comes quickly to mind, you’ve probably already checked.

Make sure (Show Invisibles) there’s no other entries other than <$toc> in the Contents document. Even one space will corrupt the result.

Remember, if need be, you can always contact L&L directly for support.