Segmentation fault on Kubuntu

I’m new to Scrivener and excited to see a linux beta. I’m a long time kubuntu user and have two machines running different versions.

One is a laptop running 13.04 / KDE 14.10.3, the other is a desktop machine running 12.04 / KDE 4.8.5. I installed Scrivener on both, then completed the QT-Lib patch. In both cases, that got the application to start, but on both machines, I get a segmentation fault (core dump) when I try to open a file. Another thread, in reference to an earlier version, suggested changing the QT_PLUGIN_PATH as a fix. I gave that a whirl, but no dice.

Is there a workaround for this issue that I might have missed in the forum?

~Steve

Bumpity bump bump.
Has anyone else been able to solve this issue?
Initially I was getting a problem with my QT library which I resolved by copying the latest libs into scrivener/lib/ Now Scrivener launches but crashes as soon as I try to open the interactive tutorial in the program. Running from a terminal I initially get the following error when it launches.

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

Then when I try to open the tutorial or save a project anywhere aside from the default folder(clicking browse when starting a new project) it crashes giving me this.

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

When saving to a non-default folder it also gives

WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/ME/keyring-KU5Eu9/pkcs11: No such file or directory

The handbook opens just dandy mind you :smiley:

How are you starting scrivener? There’s a shell script in Scrivener/bin that you should be starting it with. Scrivener’s QT libraries are also customized for it, so copying your system ones into it won’t work. (As you found out.)

I’d do a clean reinstall of Scrivener (completely uninstall it, reinstall), then try running it from the shell script. (scrivener.sh)

The fontconfig thing you’re getting is because you installed fonts without updating the system cache. It’s not a fatal error.

I was starting Scrivener both from the command line and from the start menu.
Copying the more recent QT libraries into scrivener/lib did work as before doing that it simply did not start at all. SO starting and then crashing after certain commands is a definite step forward.