Select document type for Outliner export

For live, physical editing sessions with my publisher, I want to be able to export my manuscripts corkboard content (card titles and synopses) to a CSV file. That CSV file will then be my data source for a mail merge to an index card document perfect for printing to my index cards.

Very glad to discover that the Outliner export does exactly what I want.

Only thing is: when I call up the Outliner from the Manuscript level, and export, I get all the documents and folder. I need only a subset of document types. Is there a way to select which document types are exported?

Using a dedicated label or status or even a custom metadata field, you could sort them by that field, giving you the desired documents listed at the top.
Then, using a split editor, and having the first one to…

…in the second: you’d then get exclusively the content you want in the second.

Then, export what you have in the second editor.

Where you aware that you can print index cards directly from Scrivener? Printing with Scrivener | Literature and Latte

(I’m assuming this works the same for the Windows version)

You can also use the project search feature, and change the parameters to only search document types. Once you’ve done that search and got your results, you can save the search. Every time you select that saved search from the collections list, it will re-run the search, updating the results. From that list, you can select them all (click on the 1st doc, SHIFT-click on the last one in the list), and view in Cork Board view.

Hi Vincent_Vincent, what you’re suggesting does work, but it’s rather labor-intensive. Either I have to add metadata specifically for this purpose, or I use the existing Section_Type, which unfortunately does not group the types I need together when I sort, meaning that I have to Ctrl-click a lot to get the selection I need.

What I’m looking for is a minimum-effort approach, using the metadata already in place.

That would have been a great solution, Rdale, but for one limitation in Scrivener for Windows: the Any Word operator doesn’t work on Section_Type, and I need multiple section types in my selection.

Well… What do your desired documents have in common that others have not ?

Else, how would Scrivener know ?

I hadn’t realized that, sorry. Could you apply any other metadata (a keyword, for instance) to all of the relevant documents, and search on that one value instead?

Edited to add: I’m not sure if this will solve it, but instead of Any Word, try the regex option. To use that for multiple search terms, separate them by | symbol (above the \ on my keyboard). So search for “Text|Intermezzo|Letter|Prologue” using that search type.

2 Likes

They have section type Text, Intermezzo, Letter, or Prologue. They have label Zorah, Roelant, Sharon, or Jeroen (but that one’s subject to change). They have several metadata fields that make them distinguishable, but in any of those metadata fields, multiple values apply. Conceptually, they’re all bits of prose, set up with different section types for reasons of compile formatting.

The only unique and singular aspect applicable to the entire selection I need is that they’re all text documents, not folders, with no subdocuments.

Hah! Any Word may not work with Section Type, but it does work with label. That’s good enough!

1 Like

You could also have created your own “include in compile → include in export” metadata field where it would have been a simple yes/no answer. Then sort by that.
Plenty of ways to achieve what you wanted.

Glad you now have one.

Oh, my bad: label = pov = also applicable to folders. So selecting by label gives me too many results.

But a custom field would still require me to add redundant data, since ‘include in export’ is related to the section type.

??

Custom metadata field name : “Include in export”
Answer : Yes (or left unanswered) (A checkbox would probably work.)

That’s it.

You mark the documents you want to export using other filters once. And then it is done and available to sort your documents by.
No more redundant than searching for a bunch of combined parameters.
Else, the software will never “take a guess”, let alone an accurate one.

Perhaps a RegEx.

I updated my earlier post with a simple example of how a regex might work, assuming the regex search isn’t also flawed.

This may be the best avaiable option in Scrivener for my purpose. But since this is a WIP, I will need to mark any new documents I add with the correct section type (for compile formatting) and then also mark the Include in export checkbox if applicable, even though that follows directly from the section type. It’s not a great deal of extra effort, but it results in redundancy in the metadata, which I always try to avoid like the plague.

The saved custom search would have been great, since it would have used the information from the section type at search runtime. That solution would be a one-time effort, saved for reuse, working with the current project as it stands but also with any and all new documents and folders added later, since I give those the correct section type anyway. A shame search on section type doesn’t work with Any Word.

Next best solution: set up the Section Type filter in Word, with the mail merge data selection. Does what i want, but not the ideal solution, because in a perfect world, the correct selection would be created at the source, and Word would only do the work of formatting it for printing.

I’m with @Rdale here. Since you ultimately want index cards, why not just print index cards?

Because by default, Scrivener prints index cards to normal-sized paper with cutting lines, and the option to print directly to sheet-fed index cards is not available on the Windows version of Scrivener, which I use.

In other words: one more requirement that I don’t think I’ve mentioned yet is that I want to print to physical index cards that I already own, 105x74mm (A7) size.

Do they feed one at a time in your feeder? If so, Compile synopses only and set paper size to A7. Here’s an example of compiling synopsis entries (and other things, but you can remove those):

a synopsis/epigraph report

Did anyone mention the most invisible feature of Scrivener: Filtering Outliner or Corkboard on Status, Labels and Custom metadata?

In the Corkboard View Mode, press Ctrl/ CMD + F, then click the Filter button, select the metadata you want to see in your filtered results.

There you go.

1 Like

I’m missing something here, I think. This gives me a search box above the Corkboard, where I can enter search terms. There’s no filter button, and when I select Edit-Find-Filter it just sends me to the Search box.

And if this filters the Corkboard, I’m afraid it’s not going to do what I need. As I understand it, the Corkboard shows items from a single container, single level, and I need to select documents from all over the project, in different containers and at different levels.