selecting panes

Of course I’m not sure this is a ‘bug’, but I do find it annoying: I usually work with two panes, the one in which I’m writing, and a second one containing whatever research material I need. When I want to look at another document, I click in the second pane to activate it and then choose the right document from the menu on the left. Somehow I expect that clicking anywhere within that pane will do the trick, but it doesn’t; the margins are ‘dead’ somehow. To me that feels very un-macintosh-like …
Best regards
Bart

Actually it’s very “Macintosh-like”, as the text area is the standard Apple NSTextView, and unfortunately Apple have indeed made the margin areas “dead”. So there’s nothing I can do about that as this is built in to Apple’s code, sorry.
All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith,
that is a very clear explanation. I’ll have to change my habits, and I will … eventually :wink:
Best regards,
Bart

You can click on the margins in page view, by the way (because in page view the standard Apple text area only takes up the visible text area and I’ve implemented my own margins around it - something that is a lot more difficult in non-page mode because the text area grows or shrinks depending on how much text there is and how big the view is, whereas pages are always of a fixed size).
All the best,
Keith

Dear Keith,

that is an excellent suggestion. And it does explain my expectations: ever since I have a monitor that is big enough (my first mac was a ‘Plus’ with a 9" screen) I have worked in page view.
So Problem solved; thanks a lot!
Bart