Selective compile affects permanent include

Hi, as a newly licensed user of scrivener I’d like to preface this with a big thumbs up - it is making a huge difference to my writing experience.

I created a new compile profile for exporting selected parts of my WIP for critique. It has different formatting, all scrivenings selected “as is” and “include” turned off. I saved that then selected “include” for the scrivenings I wanted to be critiqued and exported to word format. All well and good.

Then later I noticed that my word count in project statistics was only counting the scrivenings I had selected during the compile. Even the project targets reflected that word count. Then I noticed the scrivenings I had deselected in the compile dialog had their “include in compile” check box deselected.

Now, this may or may not have been intended behavior, but I don’t think it is very intuitive. I expected that everything I did in the dialog would be temporary (unless saved to a profile that I could recall), and I think that is in line with the usual expected behavior of a dialog with OK/Cancel semantics. For example, clicking cancel should leave everything as it was before I brought up the dialog - but in the case of include in compile, or compiling as-is, these changes are permanent even when cancel is selected.

Of course, now I know about this, I can work around it. The only way I can see to do that is to bring up compile again after exporting my extract and reset the “as is” and “include” check boxes. Perhaps there is a neater way to do that (it feels very odd to have to use the compile dialog to do that).

What would be really helpful though, is that those changes are not permanent, but are saved to the profile (or perhaps “connected” to the profile since they would be different per project). That would allow me to save profiles like “extract” or “first three chapters”.

As you discovered, the “Include in Compile” feature is indeed persistent by design. In fact you can find that same checkbox in the Inspector for each document, as well as enabling that feature as a column in the outliner, allowing you to do bulk surveys and adjustments. This is good to keep persistent because it lets you create a hard landscape of what is and is not included—because there are many other tools for soft landscaping. You can use the hard landscape things you know you’ll never want to include (like notes right in your outline, or old versions you want to keep alongside rather than in a snapshot, etc).

For soft landscaping, there are two major tools, both of which can be easily adjusted, and one of which provides for extensive and even dynamic control. I’d recommend reading up on the Content sub-section (§25.3.1, pg. 191) in the manual under compile options. Specifically the Filter feature and the content drop-down. The latter lets you choose just one chapter or section of your book to be compiled, and the former lets you use meta-data or collections to create dynamic compile filters. I prefer the Collection method, myself. You can either use Saved Search Collections to filter off of any criteria in Scrivener that can be searched for in the Project Search tool, or standard collections to create curated lists. This section of the PDF goes into detail on how these work.

So in short: (a) you don’t need to use Compile to set the Include In Compile box, that is accessible throughout the interface. (b) there are better ways to set soft exclusions that don’t require toggling this checkbox. It’s best to use that checkbox for hard sets you don’t anticipate changing on a regular basis.

Thanks, I’ll look into those other methods of dealing with the extract :smiley:

One slight amendment: there is a bug at the moment that is prohibiting Saved Search Collections from being used as filters. This will be fixed, but for now the work-around is to either create a static collection and drag the search results into it, or use the View/Collections/Convert to Standard Collection menu command on the appropriate tab and convert it to a standard collection (only do that if you don’t need the search any longer).