Semantic Editing - Ulysses

Hi. I just tested out Ulysses, another program with a similar market to Scrivener. First, let me say that I think I’ll stick with Scrivener. But I did really like the very simple semantic editing setup in Ulysses. It is basically what Multimarkdown does, but it is way more integrated into the interface, allowing the creation of new types of markup, and interpreting the markup with some syntax highlight. Is there any chance that the future release will have something like this in it?

Cheers,
Brett

Hi,

I’m afraid not. Scrivener is at heart a rich text editor.

All the best,
Keith

You “could” create a perl script that will post process your compiled output. Need a new tag? Just update your script.

Thanks for the short and definitive reply! (no sarcasm meant here). I’ve set up MacVim as my editor, I can do all the highlighting I want in there.

Yes, you have to admire the way he leaves absolutely, positively no room for doubt. :smiley:

None of this ‘we’ll consider it for a future release’ nonsense which is always annoying because you know full well that they won’t.

Ha, sorry, it wasn’t meant to be curt (although it was written after only one coffee in the morning). I just couldn’t think of anything else to day. :slight_smile: Semantic editing (outside of MMD) is sort of the opposite to rich text in a way, so it would mean retooling the rich text system to do different things in different circumstances in different modes… Or something. And then it would require an entirely different compile/export process too.

Also, I really like Ulysses, and while I was searching for my perfect writing tool, before starting Scrivener, I almost settled on Ulysses (and Scrivener’s label and status fields and full screen mode were influenced by Ulysses), but in the end one of the reasons I decided to move on and write my own tool (apart from wanting to be able to refer to research files and structure using synopses, which were the main ideas behind Scrivener which wasn’t done anywhere else at the time) was that semantic editing didn’t really suit me, so implementing it in Scrivener would be sort of defeating the point. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith