Semi Automatic Quotation Marks

When I write fiction, often I end up creating rather lengthy chains of dialogue with no “he said” or “she saids.”
“Maybe we should talk to Mark?”
“I don’t think he would talk to me.”
“Well, not you. But me.”
“What about his crazy uncle?”

Etc. Once I created a macro in Word which, with the cursor positioned at the beginning of the new paragraph, would insert quote marks, go to to the end of the paragraph, insert more quote marks, then find the beginning of the next paragraph. Fantastic, instant quotes! I would love to see some way to accomplish this in Scrivener. Perhaps there is one – I confess I haven’t read the entire manual.

An idea…

—Select the relevant text
—Search for Paragraph Break
—Replace with “Paragraph Break” (i.e. Quote Marks / Paragraph Break / Quote Marks)

Just tried it with your text in Scrivener and it produced the “dialogue” below…just had to manually add the very first and very last quote marks:

“Once I created a macro in Word which, with the cursor positioned at the beginning of the new paragraph, would insert quote marks, go to to the end of the paragraph, insert more quote marks, then find the beginning of the next paragraph.”
“Fantastic, instant quotes!”
“I would love to see some way to accomplish this in Scrivener.”
“Perhaps there is one – I confess I haven’t read the entire manual.”

Briar,
Did you perform that action in Scrivener or Word? I wanted to have the function in Scrivener. I don’t see a “Search/Replace” function in Scrivener that finds paragraph marks. ???

thanks,
Neil

Hi Neil

In Scrivener. When you call up the search box, right click in the search field, choose insert and then you can elect to search for a paragraph break, tab, etc.

Briar Kit

Thanks very much, works well! Very much appreciated!

Neil

Welcome. Someone may have a better solution.

Briar Kit