Separate fonts for work (screen) & print (compile)

So I am one of those older writers with bad eyes. What I am trying to do is rather simple but I think there are many different approaches and I am not sure which is ideal.

In my text in Scrivener I have my main font set to a screen-friendly font, Open Sans. My regular body text is unmarked by a style. For block quotes I have style set with the same font but some different formatting and I also have various size headers in a sans serif block font. I also use single spacing in scrivener to fit as much of the text on the screen as I can while writing.

However, when I compile for print I would like to use (1) a printer friendly font with a serif such as Hoefler Text, Bookman Old Style, Garamond, Book Antiqua, etc. and (2) have my body text to be double spaced and the block quotes to stay single spaced and indented, etc.

Now if I do it old school and do the font override in compile, that works fine except that all the text is then set to that font specified in the compile. This is now in the menu in the Section layouts in 3.x i see.

This isn’t horrible but I am still single spaced and I need to go in by hand and change the font for the headers back to a block sans serif font like Open Sans or Ariel and my document is now just too big for that. That is precisely the thing Scrivener is made to avoid, right?

Now, I can go into edit format and in the styles tab change it there but that is only going to change the styled text. Most of my text is not styled. Why? b/c in the scrivvy docs it says:

“Scrivener 3 differs from most word processors in that you’ll generally only want to apply styles to text that you want formatted differently—to headings, block quotes and such. In most word processors all text is styled, with the main text using a “Body” or “Normal” style (depending on the word processor). In Scrivener, you’ll want to use “No Style” for most of your text, as this will give you more flexibility when you come to compile or reset your editor default formatting. This system also means that you don’t need to use styles if you don’t want to. For this reason, there is no “Body” or “Normal” style provided by default.”

Ah. but that makes setting the override in the compile harder to achieve via edit format.

So what is the best strategy if other than going through my whole document and making everything have a style? (rather not)

Still learning the 3.x way of compile … Perhaps “Section Layouts?” but frankly I still do not grasp those.

I am sure this is a problem that exist between the chair and the computer and not scrivener itself.

Help :blush:

cheers,

kp

Have you done the built in Tutorial, at least the part concerning Compile? It’s explained in a rather detailed but yet simple way.
And, if you are familiar with the way it worked in Scriv 2, there is the special tutorial for those that switch to Scriv 3.

literatureandlatte.com/scri … date-guide

Compile is deep. Honestly don’t feel like you can learn it all in one go. & like Perl it seems like there is a “more than one way to do it” level of deepness. Just trying to get pointers on specificly what to look at and what is a good approach. I don’t even have handle on all the terminology.

I ust went through the thee video toots. Cleared up a few things. Basic things are pretty straightforward but this task still eludes me.

But I guess RTFM is the only answer. I just though that if someone had been down this path they could bend the learning curve for me.

I just spent like a day and half getting Scrivener to work with Zotero through libreOffice & RTF scan. Which involed Javascript, Zotero, Libreoffice & MS word. Pretty elaborate process. But I know how to do it now if someone asked me I could point them down the right path.

“Section Type” seems what I need to grok.

I suggest you do the built-in Tutorial instead of the videos and also check the manual. What you’re asking about can be done in different ways, but it’s quite simple when you understand the basics om how to compile. And it seems smarter to use what’s already written by L&L instead of me or someone else re-writing their tutorial to teach you. :wink:

I’ll go through the tutorial again in the morning and do some compiles and try to understand the behavior. I think assigning layouts to section types has somehow crossed wire with styles and the font override and it’s all muddled in my head.

thanks