Several Newbie Questions

Hi everyone, I’m a new user of the windows version.
I’ve a couple of questions

In templates, when there is something like <$template_projectName> is that intended to be automatically replaced with something at compile time… like the name of the project? If it is, it’s not working for me. Unless there is a project properties page somewhere I haven’t found yet.

How do I have page numbers inserted into the final output document, if for example, I chose PDF output?

Many thanks,
Ashley.

Hi Ashley,

The templates right now contain some variables that are used in the Mac version; there, these variables would get filled in as soon as you created the project. They’re just flat text otherwise, and so in Windows you can just type over them with the appropriate information. (That’s how it used to be in the Mac version, too, up until the 2.0 update.) As noted elsewhere, the templates all need to be fixed up to be Windows-specific, as they were pretty much brought over fairly directly from the Mac version and haven’t been revised, so there are various pieces of them that refer to features or commands that either aren’t yet implemented in Windows or are slightly different.

As for the page numbers, I’m afraid that’s not doable at the moment, though it’s on the list for Lee to implement. For the time being the best way is to compile your document to .rtf or similar and then add the page numbering in the word processor.

I also have a question about that, is it best to use a blank document and then compile to a manuscript, and if so do you worry about indentations or just type and then have it format in the final move?

The templates are all built off the blank project, with some settings tweaked to get you on the steps toward this or that type of manuscript, but they’re mainly there for ideas–most people who use them are still going to make plenty of changes to personalize the organization and so forth. Personally I always just start from blank and build up the project to fit whatever particular project I’m working on, although I’ve made a few custom templates with some settings that I always like on or off. Either way you go, since a template is just a project, you can fully edit anything exactly the same way, including the compile options.

For formatting, you can again go either way, but generally you want to just go ahead and write when you’re in Scrivener, then fix up the formatting at the compile stage. There are some cases where you may need to format a specific document in a very strict way that isn’t yet doable by the compiler–in these cases, you can format the document with the proper indentation, spacing, etc. right in the editor, then click the “compile as-is” box in the inspector so that the compile settings won’t override your work. If you have a lot of specially formatted paragraphs for block quotes or computer code or so on, you might want to do that. (Your other option is to just compile and then fix up the formatting in a word processor after the fact–something you’ll likely do for a little polish anyway.) Generally, though, you can write in any kind of style, with whatever indentation, throughout your project, and then set up the compiler to standardize it all in the output, so you can set up your automatic first line indent there, double spacing, courier font, etc. even if you don’t want it to look that way when you’re actually typing it.

The only other thing to watch out for with indentation specifically is whether you use the automatic first-line indent–Scrivener has this set up by default, but you can turn it off by adjusting the ruler in Edit>Options under the Editor tab (or per document by adjusting the ruler in the editor)–or hit the tab key. Either is fine, but if you have a mix you’ll get some odd results when you compile, since the tab key is a character and won’t be overridden, so for instance you may end up with a double indent places, if you add the automatic indent at compile time and have already used the tab key in some places. It’s easily fixable if you bring your compiled document into a word processor and just do a find/replace for the tab character, but if you’re starting from scratch it’s best to just pick a way of doing it and always do it that way. I like the auto-indent, but if you’re a hard-core tabber, just turn off the first-line indent and run from there.

Woo thank you for such a in depth reply, I have just completed the interactive tutorial which I have found really useful, and made notes for my own reference. I am going to be importing a number of chapters that are already done, thank you for your help