Several Scrivener questions

I’ve started to use Scrivener seriously again for the first time since NaNoWriMo and have a few queries. I’m not sure if there’s a better place to check (before the Windows version of the manual comes out), so after a quick look in the Mac version of the manual and the current bug list, this is my next port of call.

Lists
If I select a few lines and press the ‘List’ button, a bullet is added to the items as expected. But, if a listed item is selected and the ‘List’ button pressed again, Nothing happens. I would have expected it to act like other software and turn the list item off so it’s returned to normal (unlisted) text. I know I can select ‘None’ from the List drop down but that’s a little more effort and different to the standard way it works in most/all other software.

How to indent lists
I can demote and promote items in the Binder by pressing Ctrl+Right (or Left) arrow key. I assumed the same shortcut would do the same for list items in a text document but it doesn’t (it has another function). So a) how do I do that for list items and b) might it be a good idea for the same shortcut to work in both places as it essentially does the same thing?

How do I make and use Styles?
By Styles, I mean Heading 1, Normal and so on. Am I right in thinking that’s not implemented yet? But if it is, where do I find it?

How to insert/add hyperlinks to words?
I mean hyperlinks to web pages so when I click on them, my browser fires up and loads the page.

How to make a table of contents
Am I right in thinking this isn’t implemented yet?

Split document shortcuts
Are there keyboard shortcuts for the two split options? I.e. ‘Split at selection’ and ‘Split with selection as title’

Is there a list of all keyboard shortcuts?

What is ‘Ghost Notes Mode’?
I can’t find it mentioned in the Mac manual

Keyboard Shortcuts

Go to the directory where you have Scrivener installed. Open the resources folder. Inside is a pdf file listing all the shortcut keys at present.

Ghost Notes Mode refers to annotations. It means they become less opaque and less distracting.

Thanks. Didn’t know about the shortcuts file (obviously) - it answers a few questions.

Lists:
The other common way of terminating a list is to hit Enter twice; this method is supported by Scrivener.

Indenting Lists:
I think you already got the answer to this, but the keyboard shortcuts are Tab and Shift-Tab to demote and promote respectively. I don’t think using the same shortcuts for both would be a good thing because Tab in a non-text context typically is used for other things, like switching between elements. Consider on the corkboard, you can hit tab to jump between title and synopsis and from card to card, or from outliner field to field. Meanwhile, Ctrl-RightArrow in a text context is typically used to jump from word to word, so you wouldn’t want to disturb that standard either.

Styles:
There probably won’t be true word processor stylesheets any time soon, if that is what you are asking about. This is more complicated to do correctly. Something more along the line of format favourites though, is in the cards. It may not be in version 1, though. This will be the same form of “presets” that Scrivener for the Mac has, where you can save various attributes of some text and easily apply them later with a drop-down menu.

For headings, you might consider using the compiler for this. By inserting the “Title” field into the compiled manuscript, you can use the binder titles for items as their visible names. They can be styled independently, also using the compiler, and uniformly. This way you don’t have to worry about font details and such.

Hyperlinks:
This isn’t implemented yet. What you can do for now is maintain a list of reference URLs in the Reference pane. For URLs, click the [b]+[/b] button and add a new external reference. Double-click on references to edit them. For files you can use the convenience feature Look Up & Add… which will do the dirty work of finding the full path name of the file for you. In the future, this pane may also support drag and drop, so you can just drop URLs on it.

Table of Contents:
As with stylesheets, probably another thing that will never be fully dynamic. In the Mac version, you can select a bunch of binder items and copy them as a ToC list. This just sets things up with a bunch of Scrivener links and a special code that works in most word processors for cross-referencing. It’s not a true table of contents though. If sections are moved around or renamed, the ToC does not update. It’s really just meant for quick proofs. A real ToC is something you’d want to leave for the post-Scrivener phase of writing, when the project is close to completion.

Ghost Notes:
This was unfortunately removed from the Mac version for performance reasons, which is why you couldn’t find any reference of it.

Thanks for those answers.

Lists
With Lists, I was talking about reverting existing items back to normal rather than finishing off a list and continuing with normal text.

Indenting Lists
Actually I missed the Tab and Shift-Tab command, thanks for mentioning it.

Styles
As for the Styles, the Mac type Presets you describe sound like exactly the kind of thing I’m after.

Actually, pressing return twice or more in a list just leads to several empty lines with bullets in front of them - it doesn’t end the list. Are you talking about the Windows version? If so, does it work for you? Is it a setting somewhere?

Thought it did! I have to hit backspace to delete the bullet it seems, after return.