Sharing a Scrivener project file

Sharing a Scrivener project file

Is it possible to e-mail a copy of a project “built” in Scrivener 2.2 to a colleague who has the same Scrivener Program (ver. 2.2)?

If not, how should I proceed?

When I tried, the e-mail was sent but there was no indication that the file was included.

When I composed the e-mail, the correct file showed up on the draft.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Depending what email program you are using, you may need to zip up the project file first, and send the .zip - .scriv files are essentially folders, and not all email clients allow you to send folders (or receive them properly).

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,
First, thank you for your prompt reply. :smiley:
Second, to answer your question, I am using Apple Mail, ver. 5.1.

I will try “zipping” and see if that works.

As always, it is wonderful having you to help.

Seabee

Mail should have no problems sending the files, so it might just be the receiving app, the program your colleague is using. Even on Mail, though, I’d recommend zipping up a .scriv project before sending it, as there is less chance of something going awry during the transfer.

All the best,
Keith

This does not work. I’ve tried several different email addresses between yahoo and gmail and emailing files simply has not worked. Everything comes up blank. HELP!

Have you zipped them up and sent the .zip file instead of the .scriv file, as suggested above? This definitely does work.
All the best,
Keith

Yes. This most definitely is not working for me. And from what I can tell of searching the forums, I’m not the only one. I’m hoping I just missed the answer somewhere.

Then it must be down to your mail program, I’m afraid - it might have a file size limit or other limitation. Once a .scriv project is zipped up, then it’s just a regular .zip file, and most programs have no problems sending .zip files. If they do, then that is a problem with the mail program and not anything to do with Scrivener. I recommend checking the size of the file.

All the best,
Keith

It’s not my mail program, I’m using mac mail which according to you, should work just fine. The file size is also fine. And my internet provider will allow up to a 10mb file. It’s not even a large file anyway, it’s just my cards and a few scenes zipping up to 188KB.

Clearly something is not going right for me. Maybe instead of focusing on whether or not it’s a zip file or what mail program I’m using (since that’s already been covered in this thread), we could focus on any particular settings I might need to change or something else? Maybe knowing that the cards show up with a line or two filled in but the rest is cut off helps? It stops midsentence. All of the scenes I had are gone. But it has all the folders in the zip file. They’re just empty.

I’ve read the thread. I know how to zip a file. Every answer on this forum I’ve found so far is the same and isn’t working so saying it again isn’t going to make it work.

I don’t mean to be snarky but I also feel like I’m being treated like an idiot. I would have thought from my original response asking for help that it was clear that I read the thread and zipped the file since I did post in this thread, not start a new one and then said specifically that it wasn’t working for me.

Your original message really didn’t give much information, and everything I’ve told you is true. Once a file is zipped, it’s up to the the mail program and nothing to do with Scrivener. If files are missing when it’s unzipped, then it sounds like a corrupt zip file. In which case, try again, or try a different zip program. Perhaps, if you want more detailed help, you could give more details of exactly what you have tried so far? And please do bear in mind that you are asking for help with a problem that has nothing to do with Scrivener itself here, but I am still attempting to help you.
Regards,
Keith

Something strikes me as a possibility…

What are you sending the file mac to mac? What version of scrivener is in use on each side of the exchange?

KB: Hmmm. That’s a possibility. Ever since I upgraded to Lion my MBP acts like it hates me and I haven’t had a chance to wipe and reload. Will try rezipping and let you know tomorrow.

Jaysen: I’m sending Mac 2.2 to PC 1.x (she just downloaded so it should be the latest version).

Something new: I decided to try to open the zip on my computer and see what happens; I couldn’t. It said that I tried to copy the file while it was open (which I made sure I didn’t zip while it was open) and needed to rebuild the file. I don’t know if that has any significance or if it really is just a corrupt file. I’ll rezip but my writing partner can’t open it until she gets off work so I won’t be able to let you know if it works until later.

:cry: We really wanted to just be able to send each other files instead of exporting to word. I’m hoping we can figure this out.

It sounds to me like scrivener still has the file open when you are zipping it. KB would be the better to comment on that.

On the PC side, what email client is she using? Also, is she double clicking the zip then opening the project or is she right clicking, selecting “unzip” then opening the resulting folder?

The message about it being copied while open just means that you made the copy of the file (or zipped it up) while it was still open. It issues that warning because in this instance it can’t tell whether someone else is still working on the original file - as you know it’s a copy, you should just be able to click on “Continue” to continue with opening the file.

Another possibility is that it is a problem with the .zip program on your colleague’s PC, and that it’s not unpacking correctly on her end. If you like, you can zip the file up and send it to us at support so that we can test it on both the Windows and Mac versions.

All the best,
Keith

KB, thank you. I’ll try one more thing before sending it to you guys. I think I’ll try to rezip it and see if I get the same message saying I copied the file while it was open. If I don’t get the message again, then I’m going to guess that it was a bad file and that since it opened on my end, it should open on hers? Would that be a reasonable assumption?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Yes, if it opens on your end then it should open on hers, regardless of what platform you are using. To avoid the “Copied while open” message, close the file in Scrivener before zipping it up.
All the best,
Keith

Fyi, I did state above that I did have the file closed before I zipped in the first place. That’s why it was significant to me and why I told you the message. Again, I did not have it open when I zipped it. sigh

This time I just made sure Scrivener was closed. Zipped the file and now it does indeed open. So I’ll just make sure Scrivener is closed from now one when I need to send a file. Easy peasy.

Thank you for working through it with me even if it was a little frustrating. At least the problem is solved. I will let you know if she still can’t open it.

Thanks again,
Cheryl

Well, I apologise profusely for being human and trying to answer your questions when I was tired and after I should really have stopped work for the day (being on UK time here). I missed that one piece of information that you did provide, admittedly, but I don’t think there’s any need to get quite so annoyed by it when I have been trying to help you and replying to all of your questions quickly.

For the record, though, Scrivener does not need to be entirely quit when you copy or zip up a file, only the project needs to be closed, so although you say you closed the project, the only way that message could have appeared is if the project was not closed when you zipped it up, or if the project had not closed properly for some reason. (Upon opening a project, a lock file is created inside the project, and it is deleted again on project close. If that file is present, it therefore indicates that the project is still open somewhere else or has been copied while open.) An easier way, however, may just be to use File > Back Up > Back Up To… and tick the zip option, as this will create a zipped copy of your project and make sure that it doesn’t have the lock file ini it that tells Scrivener the project is open.

Right, I really am stopping work for the day now, before anyone else gets unnecessarily snarky with me. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty good at taking snark as well as I dish it out. :wink:

And I’ll use the back up tip from now on.

Thanks again,
Cheryl

:smiley: