Sharing maps with non-scapple users

I’m importing some Scapple Maps into Scrivener for a project that will ultimately be shared with a number of people.

I’d like to import them as Scapple files instead of PDFs so that anyone who owns Scapple as well as Scrivener can then use the ‘view in external editor’ function to go and play with the underlying Map.

My question is: Does Scrivener need Scapple installed in order to view a Scapple file in the editor? Ie, will people who don’t own Scapple be unable to even see the contents of the files in the Editor? Or to put it yet another way: Given that some of the people using the Scrivener project won’t have Scapple, should I import them as PDFs instead of Scapple files?

My second question is: Is the answer the same for the Windows and Linux versions?

I was wondering if anyone already knew the answer to save me uninstalling and reinstalling Scapple to test it!

This is what you see when viewing an imported Scapple file in Scrivener (OS X) without Scapple installed…

[attachment=0]scapple.png[/attachment]

Thanks BKE!

I guess it’ll have to be PDFs then (or both?).

Welcome.

Guess both would accommodate all users.

Trying to guess what…

…could possibly be. :blush:

Sewwtheart,
Piggy does a lot of picture framing. Probably to do with, ‘How To…’ diagrams.
Vic

Would a JPEG or other image file work better in Scrivener, what with the ability to zoom, and not being constrained to a page’s aspect ratio the way PDFs are?

That icon is also what all Windows users will see (and those Mac users still on pre–10.7 systems). The preview capacity for unsupported file types on a modern Mac is provided by the Quick Look engine, the same thing (roughly, Apple cheats a bit I’ve noticed and provides more functionality than they provide to third-party developers) you get when selecting a Scapple document in Finder and hitting the spacebar to get a pop-up preview. And yes, Quick Look needs to know about the file type to render a preview of it, and that service is typically provided by the software itself.

I’d ship with PDFs, those will have the best quality since they are scalable vector, and then maybe include a folder of .scap source files for those that want to annotate them or whatever. :slight_smile:

Exporting a Scapple document as a PDF isn’t the same as creating a document out of it. You can do that as well but by printing and then saving as PDF from the print panel. If you export as PDF it creates a rectangular canvas and draws the graphical elements and text on it, no page breaking.