Sharing Scrivener files on .Mac iDisk

A friend and I, both Mac users, need to work on the same project. At the moment, we are just emailing our latest work to each other. I tried creating a space on my .Mac iDisk, but when I dragged the Scrivener file on to it, it just saved it there as rtf files, which defeats the object of the exercise.

Does anyone know how to share Scrivener files on iDisk please, or if not, is there another way using an external drive on the Web?

A .scriv file is actually an OS X “package” or folder, which contains all of the RTFD files associated with your document. So, when it is placed online like that, it will look just like a normal folder. Downloaded as a whole, it will work fine, though. Or you can just use “Backup To…” to save it as a .zip file. Or you could look into using Subversion for collaborative work - there are some hints and tips on that in the Usage Scenarios area of the forum. I don’t really know much about it, but some users use this way of sharing Scrivener projects and the new 1.1 beta makes it easier.
Best,
Keith

You could just make a ZIP of the file before uploading to iDisk.

A Scrivener files is actually a Unix ‘package’, so it could be that iDisk is just seeing it as what it really is - a folder full of files (I have similar problems backing Scriv files, and OmniOutliner files, to my FTP backup).

Turning your file into a ZIP before uploading (using the ‘create archive’ function of the Finder) will ensure iDisk sees it as a single file. And neither of you will need any special software to archive or decompress the ZIP files.

That’ll teach me to hit reply and then leave it ten minutes before posting…

(I didn’t even know about the ZIP option in ‘Backup to…’. Awesome! :slight_smile:)

Thanks, that’s an elegant solution. I wish I had a dollar, or better still, a pound, for every time I posted an email without re-reading or waited ten minutes.

Shivalan

I find this a bit odd because my Scrivener files are copied to my iDisk automatically every hour - and they show up properly. I can open them from the iDisk etc.

I do this partly as a backup, but also so that my other Mac can automatically copy them to keep the 2 macs in Sync.

My Scrivener projects are contained within another folder and I copy the entire folder over.

Shivalan

I find this a bit odd because my Scrivener files are copied to my iDisk automatically every hour - and they show up properly. I can open them from the iDisk etc.

I do this partly as a backup, but also so that my other Mac can automatically copy them to keep the 2 macs in Sync.

My Scrivener projects are contained within another folder and I copy the entire folder over.

Shivalan

Thanks Steve. I’d be interested to know how to save automatically to iDisk.
A

I use an app called Chronosync. This is set up to automatically copy my folder entitled ‘Writing’ to my iDisk’s Public folder (which is password protected). Within the ‘Writing’ folder are my various Scrivener projects. Chronosync examines the copy of the folder on the iDisk and the copy on my Mac and makes changes to keep them in sync.

The process is dependent upon you keeping a copy of your iDisk on your Mac. In reality Chronosync copies to the iDisk on the Mac, not the online version. iDisk then syncs itself to it’s online version.

This provides a nice backup, but more importantly for me, I have another copy of my iDisk on my desktop Mac. This syncs automatically with the online iDisk. Chronosync is also installed on the second Mac and is set to keep my second Mac’s ‘Writing’ folder in sync with the one on iDisk.

The end result is that whatever Mac I am at, I simply open up my Scrivener project and away I go.

It is also possible to use Chronosync to simply sync the 2 Macs directly, but this does not work as well on an automatic basis.

This may not work for sharing though, because the projects are not files, but bundles.

I use an app called Chronosync. This is set up to automatically copy my folder entitled ‘Writing’ to my iDisk’s Public folder (which is password protected). Within the ‘Writing’ folder are my various Scrivener projects. Chronosync examines the copy of the folder on the iDisk and the copy on my Mac and makes changes to keep them in sync.

The process is dependent upon you keeping a copy of your iDisk on your Mac. In reality Chronosync copies to the iDisk on the Mac, not the online version. iDisk then syncs itself to it’s online version.

This provides a nice backup, but more importantly for me, I have another copy of my iDisk on my desktop Mac. This syncs automatically with the online iDisk. Chronosync is also installed on the second Mac and is set to keep my second Mac’s ‘Writing’ folder in sync with the one on iDisk.

The end result is that whatever Mac I am at, I simply open up my Scrivener project and away I go.

It is also possible to use Chronosync to simply sync the 2 Macs directly, but this does not work as well on an automatic basis.

This may not work for sharing though, because the projects are not files, but bundles.

I would love to know how long it takes to sync to the iDisk using this method?

Last time I tried to copy Scrivener files (using a straightforward copy, admittedly) it was painfully slow and so I abandoned the idea, and my iDisk! Maybe I missed a trick…

As Keith explains above, the scriv file copies slowly because it’s a package, consisting of many, many rtf and xls files, among others.

So, archive the file first. Select the file, and then go to Finder: File: Create Archive. That ZIP file will copy to .Mac very rapidly.

Also suggested above: create a desktop version of your iDisk, and in System Preferences, set it to synchronize automatically.

Then, all you need do is place your ZIP file in the iDisk Documents folder. It will automatically synchronize with the same folder at .Mac.