Sharing with iPad user

Hi
My agent uses an iPad to read through my manuscript. Last version that I sent her, she wasn’t able to see my comments (which showed up fine on the same compiled document on my Mac laptop). The manual suggests using Simplenote to share, so I was considering giving that a try. However, it also says:
“It is generally recommended that you don’t sync all documents in a project, because this can clutter up Simplenote and severely slow down synchronisations.”
We’ll be sending the entire manuscript back and forth to each other. Any suggestions on how best to proceed?
Many thanks, as always :smiley:
Rita
(Just loving Scrivener, every day)

Just a note on these mechanisms, they are really optimised for the author because they retain the individual break-down of the outline, rather than combining things together into a longer draft like the compile feature does. This is also incidentally what enables the feature to easily sync all of the pieces back into the Binder. So your agent may not appreciate having to go through lots of little files—depending on how far you break things down. If you tend to work in chapter-sized pieces, this might work just fine for both of you.

Either way, you’ll want to stick with using inline comments as these can be transferred back and forth in plain-text. Scrivener will wrap the comments in {{ double brackets }} like that. When syncing from Simplenote, anything wrapped in double curly brackets like that will be converted back into an inline annotation. So your agent can add comments this way.

Another option is to use folder sync instead of Simplenote, and have them use one of the many plain-text editors on the iPad that can interface with Dropbox. This method is significantly faster since it uses the file system instead of a network API to transfer material. The commentary method I described above will work as well. Another advantage to using Dropbox for {{commentary}} is that a number of plain-text editors now support custom keyboard extensions, where you could put those brackets into a row of buttons at the top of the iPad keyboard. Otherwise typing in these curly-brackets is quite frustrating as you have to shift twice to get to the auxiliary punctuation keyboard.

Thanks for replying so quickly, Amber. I’m a bit confused just reading this, but I’ll give these options a try. Often it all makes perfect sense once I actually carry out the steps! Take care,
Rita