Shift To Macbook (m1) From Imac Project Won't Open

LEAVING FOR TRAVEL VERY SOON. PROJECT WON’T OPEN. NEED HELP ASAP. RECOMMENDATION BELOW DOESN’T MAKE SENSE. I JUST CREATED THE PROJECT ON MY IMAC, AND CAN OPEN IT THERE. THE IMAC AND MACBOOK ARE ON THE SAME RELEASE OF OPERATING (VENTIURA) AND SCRIVENER.

The project at “/Users/CMTECCA/Dropbox/AA Family Projects/Taylor India/Taylor Ancestry.scriv” seems to be of an older format, but no binder.scrivproj file could be found inside it. It may be missing or corrupt, possibly because of a problem with the device on which it is stored, or because of a synchronisation problem.

Try ctrl-clicking on the project in the Finder and selecting “Show Package Contents”, then look for a file entitled ‘binder.scrivproj’. Ensure it has not been renamed by a backup routine. If it does not exist, try restoring from a backup.

Please try dragging the file out of Dropbox (Desktop is fine for a temporary location). Are you able to open the project then? If so, you can then close the project, drag it back to Dropbox, let it sync, and try opening the project again.

Otherwise, if you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to troubleshoot, check your automatic backups: Scrivener → Preferences → Backups → Open backup folder. See if you have a good backup and, if you do, move it to Dropbox or otherwise transfer it over to your laptop.

And get this shift key serviced.

7 Likes

I’m working with Apple to figure this out. l’ll let you know soon.

I wouldn’t expect Apple to be too helpful in this instance. They’ll likely direct you to Dropbox support since that’s where the file is saved or to Scrivener support because it’s our file type. But, you never know!

1 Like

Actually the problem was with Ventura: It won’t let you drag to desktop; so I had to copy from DropBox to Desktop. Then I double clicked on the copied file and it opened in Scrivener on my MacBook. I then saved it to the proper place in Dropbox and overwrote the original file and then was able to successfully reopen it on my MacBook. Complicated, but I now have the project and access on the MacBook while I’m traveling to India.

Thank you Jen!

1 Like

Oh, that’s fantastic! Glad you were able to get that worked out. Safe travels!

1 Like

thanks! Happy Holidays, :blush:

1 Like

Glad you got it figured out!

For future readers of the thread, the most common cause of this error is incomplete synchronization, and it’s usually because Dropbox is storing part of the project exclusively online. See this article for guidance:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/cloud-syncing/dropbox-troubleshooting-macos-monterey
(Refers to Monterey, but it’s probably the same in Ventura.)

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve had at least three macOS Ventura help tickets experiencing the “online-only” Dropbox issues that we first encountered in macOS Monterey.

Checking the Dropbox settings is a good starting point for this particular error.

3 Likes