*Short* Laser Printer Recommendation?

I have a Canon PIXMA IP4200 that is randomly failing and costing me a fortune in ink, so I want to shift to a B&W laser printer.

I have done a bit of searching (and read the last 2 posts here), but unfortunately I am hitting the same two problems that made me choose the IP4200 in the first place:

1. I want automatic duplex printing.
  2. My desk has a drawer in it made specially for printers. Unfortunately, it was made at a time when printers were a little smaller and lasers unheard of for a home environment. The size of the drawer is 460mm (W) x 410mm (D) x 230mm (H). I have no problem finding printers to match the first two. But I am yet to come across a laser printer that does duplex, and is that short.

So if anyone has a good quality B&W laser that fits those dimensions, please let me know.

I would have liked to get a Brother HL5250DN, but at 246mm height, it just won’t fit in my drawer, and I don’t want to have a giant printer filling half of my already crowded desk (nor do I have anywhere else to put it out of the way). None of the others I have found within those dimensions do duplex.

Matt

The cheapest laser printer I had was the one at work.
Get in early, make coffee, look efficient printing loads of stuff.
When really you are sabotaging the capitalist system with its own tools.

Paul
Sometimes I am so cool ice forms around me.

I would go with that option but unfortunately:

1. My company has decided to save me about $120 per week in petrol and tolls, by allowing me to work from home most days per week;

2. I usually don’t know in advance when I need to print something, and even when I do, I am usually working on said something right up until the deadline.

3. The printer at work doesn’t even have duplex anyway; and I like to save trees, prefer to work with duplex anyway (I put loose pages in a binder), and really can’t be bothered with the manual print odd-pages, turn them over and print even-pages option, because invariably the printer sucks up 2 pages at once and then the alignment is thrown out from then on.

Matt

I can thoroughly recommend Kyocera printers, which I have found to be extremely reliable and very economical. I use a Kyocera FS1020D, which they don’t seem to make any more, but there is a FS-1030D
(see kyoceramita.com). I’m not sure about the size - you would need to check it out, but it is pretty compact. When I originally installed the printer, I had a little trouble with the driver, but their support was excellent and got me going very quickly.

(I have no connection with Kyocera - just a satisfied user).