Shortcut to uncheck "Include in Compile"?

Hi! This feels like a question with an answer that I’m just overlooking…

Most of the time when I’m writing, I “Lock in Place” my current document in the editor and then leave it like that throughout my writing session. During the course of a session, I sometimes create sub-documents for scraps or notes, and I do that by ctrl-clicking in the binder and doing “New Text.”

My question is if there is a way to un-check “Include in Compile” on that new document without having to pull up the Outliner or the document in a split-editor window? (The latter to get at the Inspector/General Meta-Data for the document.) I pulled up a QuickRef window for the new text file but don’t see “Include in Compile” anywhere there. It’s also not in the ctrl-click menu (like Label and Status are). I know I could make a template without the field checked and just use that when I create new documents, but I figured I’d ask to see if there’s some keyboard shortcut way to do it, or a way from the File menu, or just something that I’m overlooking.

My goal/desire is to not have to unlock my main document or split the editor.

Thanks so much!!

Yeah, a template for “Notes” might be your best bet—then you can give it an icon as well to help distinguish it in the outline from standard draft elements. There is no keyboard shortcut, and no way to customise one either since there isn’t a menu command for setting that. One thing I’m not sure if I follow: if you’ve got the editor locked, and you are making the note document in the binder, then how you are writing into it to add your thoughts, if you aren’t pulling it up in a split view? QuickReference?

Something that might be of less bother to you if you are locking the editor only to facilitate making notes like this is getting familiar with the history shortcut keys: Cmd-[ and Cmd-]. This is how I work when I jot down notes. I don’t lock the editor, so using Cmd-N to take the note brings me right to it. When I’m done, Cmd-[ brings me back to where I was. And as is often the case, once I go back I suddenly think of another thing to jot down, so hit the Forward key. :slight_smile: Rinse and repeat until my overly caffeine saturated brain is satisfied.

Hi! Thanks! I thought making a template might be my best bet, but I wanted to double-check with someone who’d actually know for sure :slight_smile:

Yeah, I use QuickReference windows a go-go when I lock my main window. I love them and they’re excellent for my out-of-sight, out-of-mind brain that forgets everything if there isn’t a post-it note (or QuickRef window) staring me in the face. But that’s a good thing to get to know better–moving back and forth in the history to quickly access documents like that. One of the reasons I lock the main editor is that I spend a lot of time clicking in the binder to open QuickRef windows and ctrl-click on things if I’m searching, etc, and it annoys me when I lose my place in my main doc. But I will try moving back and forth in the history–that could involve less clicking.

Thanks for such a fast response!! :slight_smile:

Your way is perfectly valid and good, too, and with the use of a template it would be just as good since you don’t have to worry about that meta-data toggle. The way I described would have made it so you could just use Cmd-N as per normal, or right-click to make a new file, since it gives you access to the full Inspector. If you’ve already got that part settled, you can make use of the QuickReference windows as they provide most everything else the Inspector does save for that set of controls. I tend to lock the editor less because I use a “3-pane” layout like Mail, with the Binder set up to only send clicks to the top or left split and the main editor in the right or bottom split. I keep the Auto-Load button enabled (the little two-way arrow thing in the footer bar for Corkboards and Outliners) so it works just like a normal 3-pane program where clicking in the sidebar only changes the secondary organisation view, and clicks from there then go on to load things in the editor. Just yet another way of working in Scrivener. :wink: