Show Line numbers w/ Ruler Freeze-up

• Downloaded 2.01 to PPC running Tiger. Opened new blank project. Selected from menu “show line numbers with ruler”.
• Scrivener freezes and results in spinning color-wheel.
• Force quit is necessary.

Ruler was not showing in either view at this time, although option to show line numbers with ruler was available. Event is repeatable.

This seems to be working fine in Snow Leopard on an Intel Mac. I suspect this is either a PPC- or Tiger-specific issue.

Prior to the 2.0.1 update, I could not select “show line numbers with ruler” unless ruler was already visible. After the update, I am able to select the option without rulers showing. Perhaps this is the cause. Prior to the update, the show line numbers option was grayed out until ruler was selected to show.

Darn, I was hoping that 2.0.1 would fix this bug; looks like it is still lurking. It does seem to be, thus far, confined to Tiger and/or PPC machines.

Damn, I have no PPC machine since my iBook went missing, so this will be tough.

Let me know if I can help.

Actually, I just found my Mac Mini at the back of a wardrobe, which is a G4, and running Tiger. I couldn’t reproduce this bug though - strange! Is there anything else I need to do, any particular set-up that triggers it?

Thanks,
Keith

As a genuine computer hoarder (I have an amiga 2000 in the basement right next to a Plus and SE30) I find the above hilarious. Who in their right mind would go to a wardrobe to look for a spare machine to troubleshoot a problem? Keith would!

Simplest reproduction scenario I know of (but which is completely untested by me, lacking any “Oh, so that’s where that old computer went” moments in regards to PPC): is to simply create a new project off of the poetry template. Click once into the title page and edit a bit. Click once into the POEM document. Should crash at that point if it will at all.

Just tried to open the Poetry Template with 2.0.2.

Here are the Console messages:
28.11.10 21:15:53 Scrivener[823] *** -[NSCFString rangeOfString:options:range:locale:]: nil argument
28.11.10 21:15:57 Scrivener[823] *** -[NSCFString rangeOfString:options:range:locale:]: nil argument
29.11.10 19:20:41 Scrivener[227] *** -[NSCFString rangeOfString:options:range:locale:]: nil argument
29.11.10 22:48:29 Scrivener[2545] Out of memory. We suggest restarting the application. If you have an unsaved document, create a backup copy in Finder, then try to save.
29.11.10 22:47:56 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] Scrivener(2545,0xa0c4c820) malloc: *** mmap(size=1475145728) failed (error code=12)
29.11.10 22:47:56 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] *** error: can’t allocate region
29.11.10 22:47:56 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
29.11.10 22:48:13 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] Scrivener(2545,0xa0c4c820) malloc: *** mmap(size=1475153920) failed (error code=12)
29.11.10 22:48:13 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] *** error: can’t allocate region
29.11.10 22:48:13 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
29.11.10 22:48:29 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] Scrivener(2545,0xa0c4c820) malloc: *** mmap(size=1475158016) failed (error code=12)
29.11.10 22:48:29 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] *** error: can’t allocate region
29.11.10 22:48:29 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
29.11.10 22:48:29 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] Scrivener(2545,0xa0c4c820) malloc: *** mmap(size=983441408) failed (error code=12)
29.11.10 22:48:29 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] *** error: can’t allocate region
29.11.10 22:48:29 [0x0-0xea0ea].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[2545] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

What has been improved since 2.0 crashes: The app didn’t crash and the project has been closed without force quit of the application.

So there is an improvement, thank you, Keith!

Installed 2.0.2 and am still able to repeat the crash. I have copied the crash log from Scrivener. Let me know where to send it, if will be useful.

To repeat the crash: go to a blank project, having neither ruler nor line numbers showing>select “show line numbers with ruler”. Result is the colored wheel appears and Force Quit must be applied.

I have another experience with 2.0.2 and creating a new project:
No crashes and no spinning beachball when doing what derby described.

I had an Email exchange with Ioa some days before regarding this bug. I’m still unable to open one special project. But after deleting ui.plist from this project’s package content, I’ve been able to reopen it, and after installing 2.0.2 I even can add documents and use line numbering and rearranging documents and splitting the editor as wanted.

Everything on an iMac G5, Mac OS 10.5.8.

But, as described above, still have problems with the Poetry template. (Usually I don’t use it. I opened it just for curiosity and/or procrastination.)

Thanks for the crash report, derby (you can just post them in the thread, too, by the way). I still cannot reproduce this problem. In trying to see it on my G4 Tiger machine yesterday, I did exactly as you described - I created a new project and chose Format > Options > Show Line Numbers with Ruler. There was no crash, and all worked fine.

Strangely, your crash report doesn’t seem consistent with just selecting “Show Line Numbers with Ruler”, though, so I wonder if you may have missed some extra steps? Here’s the main part of your crash report, with some telling parts coloured:

The coloured parts tell me that the project seems to be being closed down - the main window is closing and then an editor is being released from menu. The crash then happens when all the text is removed from the text editor in preparation for closing the window entirely.

So, did you do something after choosing “show line numbers”, such as close the project, or quit Scrivener at all, perhaps because line numbers didn’t work as expected or suchlike? If not, then it seems that choosing that option is doing something very bizarre and closing part of the project - which shouldn’t be possible.

Thanks,
Keith

I did indeed do something after selecting to show line numbers. After selecting that option, the curser went into it’s colored spinning ball, and spins continuously. So at that point, I select from the Dock to Force Quit Scrivener. Might that be the step you’re referring to?

I don’t do anything more than this to reproduce the bug. For the bug report, I used an empty project to keep the report clean. I wish I could provide more detail. Please advise as to what else might help. Otherwise, simply showing rulers first avoids this. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn’t able to show line numbers in version 2.0, until rulers were first optioned to show. The bug appeared as of update 2.0.1.

That certainly explains the crash report - force quit during a hang would have resulted in the project close code I see there.

In 2.0, you did have to open the rulers first - now if you select the option to show line numbers, it automatically opens the ruler before showing the line numbers to save the user the extra step. What happens if you first go to Format > Show Ruler and only then show the line numbers after the main, top ruler is already open. Do you still see the crash then?

Thanks,
Keith

I’ve tried several scenarios. When the spinning colored wheel is displayed and Scrivener hangs, I must force quit. In the following list, I refer to a Force Quit requirement as “crash”.
• Scrivener 2.0.2 will NOT crash if text is first typed into the blank document. Either Show Rulers or Show Line Numbers with Rulers will then work properly.
But-
• If a blank document in project is selected, Show Rulers>Show Line Numbers With Rulers or Show Line Numbers With Rulers will cause crash.
• If a blank document is selected, and text is typed into that document > and Show Line Numbers With Rulers is selected > and then a new blank document is created, Scrivener 2.0.2 will crash when the new document is presented, apparently as it tries to show line numbers in that blank document.
• Pressing Return key in blank document > saving document > and selecting Show Line Numbers With Rulers will cause crash.
• Opening Scrivener, and with project open, but no document selected (No Selection) is presented. Selecting Show Line Numbers With Rulers will cause crash.
• If two documents are created in project, each with different name > and Show Line Numbers With Rulers is shown in one document, then it will show in both. Then if text is deleted letter by letter in one of the documents, all is well, until one reaches the last letter on the page. When one tries to delete that last letter (rulers are showing in both documents, Scrivener 2.0.2 will crash.

One more:
• If a document is created, and text added. > A new blank document is created. > The previous document with the text in it is then selected. > Show Line Numbers With Rulers is selected. > Line numbers and Ruler are shown in this document. > When the second document is again selected, the document name is highlighted as if it were the foremost document, but the blank page is not shown, and Scrivener 2.0.2 crashes with the first page with text/Line Numbers and Ruler showing.

Thanks very much for the extra info, much appreciated. I’ll fire up my PPC Tiger machine again on Monday and see if I can reproduce it using one of these steps. I wonder if I tried it on a blank document… I could have sworn I had, but it’s possible I didn’t.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

derby - please check your private messages as I have sent you a build for testing that may (or may not) fix this issue.
Thanks!

This bug should hopefully be fixed at last in the latest beta:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-2-x-update-betas-download-here/11262/1