Show me where I am

Would it be possible to show in the binder where I am? You know, highlighted in some way?
I hear you say – it does this already! But here’s my thing:

If I’m scrivening, i.e. collected a bunch of writing together, then if I search for something, it takes me there, but I don’t know what piece of text I’m in - it’s the top level that’s highlighted in the binder.

There is nothing wrong with this, but, especially with larger pieces of writing, where I’ve had an idea and searched to get somewhere quickly, it can take a while to see where the bit I’m writing is. I then mess about, and it becomes a perfect excuse for procrastination.

I guess in short I’m saying it would be good to retain the scrivening selection, but also highlight where I am typing.

I appreciate this is a bit tricksy. A symbol indicating where I’m currently writing might do it.

I dunno, I’m going to water the plants now.

L.

This shows you the top level and the current doc that has focus …

[attachment=0]scrivenings.png[/attachment]

Doesn’t do what you want?

This seems to be kind of a religious topic. You’ll find plenty of discussion about it around in the forum.

But there’s a solution that may work for you, the command “Reveal in binder” will take you there.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the Mac version. On my Win version, that status bar shows only the doc title, not the parent or path. You can get to the path with a dropdown just left of the title, though.

If you’re not on a Mac, then I should hunt around for the switch that turns on display of the rest of the path.

Allen

Yep, the OP has a Mac.

R6D2, ‘Reveal in Binder’ sort of does it, but I’d really like to see where I am, at the time – no more than a bookmark say.

I want to know where I am, without having to get too much out of the flow. Something highlighting the document in the binder.

Sure, I can see the name of the document at the top – as other posters have pointed out – but that’s not what I’m after – the name of the doco is not always so helpful, particularly if you write all over the place, and many things have very similar titles. It’s the location relative to other stuff I’m after.

I might doctor a screen shot to indicate what I mean better.

Three additional options…

1. Hover over the editor header bar, the file path will display in the tooltip, or
  2. You can also see the Path from the icon menu in the header bar, or
  3. Type alt cmd r to reveal in binder

If anyone wants to bookmark the solution for future reference:

briarkitesme.com/2014/11/24/whic … ings-mode/

Don’t worry, I get what you mean. That’s what I pointed out as being a religious discussion previously held several times on the forum.

The thing is that for now, Reveal in binder is the way to go. I don’t know if the developers will implement what you’re asking for.

I’d also recommend the Go To menu, from that same place where the Path menu is. Paths tell you where you are in the sense of there being a chain of parents, from Draft on down to the current document—but they don’t tell you what is around the document.

Ordinarily, the Go To menu displays the entire Binder, so you can easily go anywhere without having to actually use the Binder. But, when you are using Scrivenings mode, this menu is trimmed down to just show the contents of the current session—and it places a checkmark beside the item your cursor is currently within. Hence, I believe it is very close to what you are looking for, and sometimes better than any kind of Binder highlighting, since a Scrivenings session may not be comprised of items that are adjacent to one another, in the Binder.

Another method, more keyboard focussed, is to simply hit Cmd-3 (or Ctrl-3 on a PC). That toggles the view mode to Outliner, which of course lists your current context, and it also will highlight the row you’re currently working on. Hit Cmd-3 once again to return to where you were. This is also a great way to navigate quickly within a session—you can use the Outliner a bit like a mini-ToC for any Scrivenings session.

I have a folder as a chapter holder. The folder doesn’t have any text of its own. The folder contains a number of text files as sections of the chapter.

I click the folder and view its contents in scrivenings.

I scroll through to an unknown place in the text and then hit Cmd-3 to toggle the outliner, highlighting the current text document. Lovely.

However, when I hit Cmd-3 again, it takes me back to the folder/chapter holder, but not in scrivenings view…so I just see a blank page. It doesn’t return to the place where the cursor was. I need to select scrivenings again and then hunt for the line I was working on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Good point, I neglected that scenario. Using the single keystroke to toggle between the two works with collections and other multiple selections (where I find myself most often, strangely enough), but not implicit sessions formed from an otherwise singular folder selection. For those you do need to alternate between Cmd-1 and Cmd-3 to switch views seamlessly.

Thanks, Ioa

From scrivenings, Cmd-3 opens the outliner and shows which particular text doc I am working on.

Cmd-1 closes the outliner and returns me to the particular text doc I was working on in scrivenings mode again, but it places the cursor at the start of that document, rather than at the place/line where the cursor was before I pressed Cmd-3. So I have to search for the line I was working on within that document.

I can’t find a way to get back to the original line automatically. :confused:

… and I thought that reading a ToC should have to be the easiest of all tasks! :slight_smile:

(“Hey, where is that damned chapter of mines?” “Just press Cmd-3 each time you move, or Cmd-Alt-R, or open the Outliner, or tear down the Go To menu, or…”)

Paolo

In that case I think “Back” would be a better tool if you just want to return from whence you came. You would use toggling view modes as a form of efficient keyboard-based navigation, and in that case returning to the precise line you were at prior to navigating is, of course, irrelevant. If you just want to see where you are and then go back to typing, then the Back button is best.

The point is there are many ways of doing what the original poster was looking for, not that one need memorise or make use of them all. :slight_smile:

Hardly true. We nerds will use all of them, and try to find any hidden ways.
“Why would you use all of them?!?” “Because they are there!”

Paolo

There is that! :mrgreen:

Thanks, Ioa.

I tried the Back (show last document viewed) button after pressing CMD 3, but it doesn’t return me to the line I was working on.

But no worries: was just curious to learn. The other solutions are all ace. :smiley: