Show Titles in Scrivenings messes with Synopsis window

I use Scrivenings mode extensively but had never spotted the Format > Options > Show Titles in Scrivenings menu item. (Hat tip to the WIndows user who wants it in that version too.) Nice feature. However it has an odd side effect. I select “Manuscript” in the Binder then Scrivenings mode shows me the Synopsis for the first folder in the document inspector. When I use the option for Titles then the Synopsis of the first document is displayed. If I switch the option off then the Synopsis for the folder is displayed again. It is very distracting when this happens.

As an aside why is this a menu option and not a Preference setting?

I’m not following the description of the problem. The Synopsis should never be displayed in the text editor, no matter what your settings are. Maybe you mean in the Inspector though, but I still don’t see that problem. Could you walk me through step by step—including creating the documents and the synopses for them, so that we’re on the same page?

Also let me know what the Include folder text in scrivenings is set to, in the Navigation pane, as that might be a factor in reproduction.

It is likely that some will need it off for some projects and not in others. Consider a screenplay for example. You might want titles in your novel, but not the adaptation as title would add artificial height to the document and mess up the page counts in the editor.

Project templates are your second level of “preference”. If there are project settings you always prefer, make you’re own blank starts.

Err, I said “in the document inspector”.

So you did, but as I say, even with that, I’m not seeing what you are.

Create a new project with the Novel template
Create several (appear to require more than three) documents in the first chapter and type text in the synopsis (although it is possible to observe this effect without synopses by giving documents unique titles)
Select Manuscript
Observe what Synopsis is displayed in the Inspector (A)
Format > Options > Show Titles in Scrivenings
Observe what Synopsis is displayed in the Inspector (B)
Format > Options > Show Titles in Scrivenings
Observe what Synopsis is displayed in the Inspector ©

At point (A) you see the Synopsis for the Chapter folder
At point (B) you see the Synopsis for the last document accesses/created
At point © you see the Synopsis for the Chapter folder

Thanks! I get the same result you do, it looks like changing the mode resets the text editor focus (considering that adding/removing titles has to basically rebuild the entire text editor (titles are technically normal text, just specially handled) it makes a sort of sense that focus would get lost, but maybe it is possible to add a selection event in there, in the same way that using history to navigate back to a Scrivenings session does.