side-by-side configuration?

Hi,

I’m installing scrivener in a virtual windows machine (VirtualBox running on Ubuntu 12.04) running Windows 7 ultimate, and it installs fine, but when I run it, I get this error: “The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application even log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.”

When I use sxstrace.exe I get this: pastebin.com/5L7rbXKD

Not being much of a windows person, I have no idea what this means, but pointers would be helpful. Thanks!

Peace,
Michelle

I am having the same problem, but it only started after I downloaded and installed an update to the program. Now I cannot start Scrivener at all and just get this message:

“The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.”

I don’t know what an application event log is, nor where to find it, but is there an easy fix for this issue?

Any help would be very much appreciated as I can no longer access a very important document.

If anyone else is having this same problem, the following web page solved it for me:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … 5e18e3f3ef

[It provides links to two Microsoft updates that, like me, you probably didn’t realise you needed.