Simple Android app?

While it’s not the scratchpad, have you looked into the “Sync with External Folder” setup on individual projects? There’s a plain text option that would bypass the lack of RTF editors on Android, You could just have a single, project-specific “scratchpad” document in each project, which would sync with an external folder on whichever cloud service you wanted to use (since it’s not directly part of a scrivener project, it wouldn’t be subject to the issues with using services other than Dropbox).

That would be nice indeed! In the past year I have tried to make on-the-go progress of my outlines with the following Android apps:

• WriteOwl
  • Novelist
  • Character Planner

Each has its strong points and its weaknesses. Character planner is by far one of the best if it wasn’t for the fact that it shows everything for ALL the stories you are working on, it does not let you work on a single project so that puts it at a severe disadvantage.

Novelist has the best userinterface but lacks stability, in particular it never saves context so if you wrote 500 words of scene description and then suddenly you got an Android popup (from another app, a phone call or whatever), or you switched orientation or temporarily switched to another app (such as a dictionary) then it happily erases all your typed words because it does not save context. And Write Owl is great too but can’t bet on it, recently I clicked on a button to rename an entry and it crapped out and in doing so it corrupted its own database and I lost a couple of weeks of work.

Would love to have a Scrivener for Android that could integrate with the desktop version to sync certain data even if it iss just one way sync.

Just in case you want a user’s perspective, here is a detailed review of one of the apps I mentioned in my earlier reply.

lordofthings.wordpress.com/2017 … y-planner/

There used to be more rtf on ios and android in the past. Many people have realised that formatting/style should be separated from content. This is why markdown and multimarkdown and other markup languages are seeing so much success. I very rarely use any form of RTF word-processor. All my text is plain text with markup. This means they are small in size and editable anywhere. I doubt a fully featured RTF editor would have much success these days. People have realised that most RTF based editors are proprietary format and this limits the freedom of your text.

I would suggest learning multimarkdown (very easy) (http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/). This would free you to use any text editor on any system. Although Scrivener supports RTF, I fail to see it’s value as Scrivener by design separates the content from the style. The end product in Scrivener is determined by the compiler. I appreciate when coming from a word-processor background that plain text can feel daunting, but once you get past this it’s really enjoyable and freeing!

I would agree with your sentiments. I’ve been on macOS since 2007, but just recently moved to Android (hence viewing this thread). I think LL would do well to ensure that Scrivener is available on Android.

I totally agree. The internet has become a very unfriendly place, hacks and ransomeware, etc. Not everything should, or more specifically needs to be online. There are sufficient online repositories such as Dropbox, Google drive, Onedrive to make sharing text easy. I have also found that web based software always tends to be subscription based which I abhor.

WYSIWYG editors took over the world for a reason.

Katherine

I do not understand why people insist on demanding that a program change to meet their prejudices. “Hey, mate, I love your work, but you need to change everything that makes it what it is.” That’s not praise, that’s not respect, that’s just rude.

Scrivener works the way it does because KB wanted a tool that works this way and put the time in to make it happen. Full stop. He made a lot of design decisions that flouted the fads of the time and he continues to flout the fads as time marches on. He has a unique vision for what Scrivener should be. Some of us dinosaurs like the fact that Scrivener uses RTM files as its base. Whether on Windows or Mac, if something goes wrong with a project, I can recover my text using system tools (no third-party editors required) and see my formatting during the whole process. I can directly cut and paste into other word processors and editors and have my formatting carry across. If I need Markup, Scrivener will produce it for me via Compile. (In fact, Compile is so powerful, I can produce Markup, LaTeX, HTML, and more just by using the right toolchain.)

Best of all worlds.

Jotterpad works well as a bridge between android and scrivener. Should serve all your basic writing needs. The biggest drawback is not having the folder structure, so navigating to a text on large projects can be a pain. But for simply creating different that will sync automatically when you get to your computer and which you can then pour into your structure, it’s perfect.

I looked around for a good while before I settled on that one.

Hi, I’m the developer of Novelist. I don’t know if I have the right of doing that, but since it’s an answer to a review I don’t think it can be classified as spam. Anyway, Novelist now supports state save and restore, so no more text losses (I hope eheh).

Best regards!

Alessandro

@Katherine

Is there a link to the scratch solution and how to set up?

I’m not sure what you mean by “the scratch solution.” It’s really pretty simple: configure Scrivener’s Scratch Pad to put its files in a location accessible by your Android editor.

In Mac Scrivener 3, the location is defined in the Scrivener → Preferences → General → Scratch Pad tab. In Mac Scrivener 2, it’s the Scrivener → Preferences → General pane. In Windows Scrivener, it’s Tools → Options → General.

Katherine

I know this is an old thread but I was searching to see if there was a public beta of an Android version. I switched in November back to Android from iOS and really enjoyed using Scrivener on my phone.

Android has an amazing text editor called Jota+ it can open basically any format.

Scrivener files open fine although you will see some weird formatting code. Really only ever used it to view files but I’m pretty sure if you edited a Scrivener file it would still open fine in the desktop version.

There are connector apps for all the cloud data services as well.

Jota was weirdly one of my reasons for wanting to switch back to Android because I missed the ability to edit plain text files on iOS. All the options I tried were terrible.

Haven’t seen anything about a beta being even on the horizon, though L&L can confirm.

Be VERY careful about editing any files in the Scrivener folder, especially if you’re seeing weird formatting. You could totally screw your Scrivener project.

If you want true Scrivener work on mobile, iOS is it, probably for some time after the introduction of Win V3

The only safe way I know of to use a non-Scrivener editor to edit files within a Scrivener project is to use the External Folder Sync feature with a cloud drive. Actually editing the .rtf files within a project, especially with a plain text editor :open_mouth: can lead to corrupt projects.

I use Jotterpad on Android to sync with Scrivener. The files are stored in the Dropbox, and I use a little App called DropSync to force Dropbox to create offline versions on my mobile phone, where I can edit them with Jotterpad.

Screenshot_214.jpg

Still no timeframe on an Android app?
I purchased a Chromebook and love it! A Scrivener app would be great to have too!

I would not expect any further news about a possible Android app until at least well after the release of Win Scrivener 3.

Katherine

For those with a chromebook with an x86 processor, you can install Scrivener with Crossover for Chrome OS:

codeweavers.com/products/crossover-chromeos

You can then use Dropsync to sync your Scriv folder in dropbox with your Chromebook:

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … c&hl=en_AU

I have no affiliation with either of these companies. This setup works well for me.

This will not work with an arm processor.

Hi,

Don’t know if it’s of any help, but found this as a probable solution, looks nice: medium.com/@techieinak/sync-scr … 39e4c9f41b

Yes, and it’s been around for many years. Many of us used it with our iDevices before there was an iOS version.