Simple Question, but ...

I know this is very basic and I apologize, but I can’t find the answer anywhere: I’ve managed to write two chapters with two scenes in each. I now want to split one longish scene into two. How do I do that, in the simplest way possible? (I’m new to word processing in general, and a babe in the woods with Scrivener) Thanks so much.

In the Scrivener Manual, see 15.3 Splitting The Document. Here’s the text, minus the graphics of the keys involved…

Often, when importing material that you have composed in other applications that do
not support an easy to use built-in outline, your text will arrive in Scrivener in one large
chunk. Where you choose to break this long document apart is up to you, and the split
tools make it easy to do so.
To split in a document into two pieces, you will first need to place the caret at the
precise point in the document where you wish the split to occur. If you select a range of
text, the start of the selection will be considered the caret point, for purposes of splitting.
Once the selected location has been chosen you can use one of two methods to split the
document:
DocumentsSplitat Selection ( – K) This will create the new document directly below
the current document in the outline. It will contain everything that followed
the caret position, and this material will be removed from the original document.
It can be useful to think of splitting in terms of “above” and “below” the selection.
Everything above the caret (and also to the left if in the middle of a line) will remain
in the original document, while everything to the right and below of the caret will
be moved to the new document.
After splitting, you will be given the option to name the new document in the
Binder.
DocumentsSplitwith Selection as Title ( – K) This alternative method will only appear
when a range of text has been selected in the editor. This method works identically
as “at Selection” does, only the selected text will automatically become the
title of the new document. This text will remain selected after you split, making it
easy to remove it, or style it as a header.
204 CHAPTER 15. WRITING AND EDITING
When splitting documents, most meta-data will be carried over to the new document.
The only exceptions to this will be any snapshots and the synopsis. Snapshots will remain
attached to the original document (everything falling before the split point), and can thus
be useful in seeing what a document looked like before it was split up. It is thus a good
idea to set up any common meta-data like keywords and labels before you start splitting
up a document, to avoid having to make numerous identical changes later on.
It is not possible to undo

Thanks a million, Springfield, I learned something new. I had actually read that section in the manual but assumed it was only for imported material, not text from the editor. Just to clarify: Do I put in one caret only, or one at the beginning and one at the end of the text I want to split? Also, how do I “undo” the split in case I change my mind? Thanks again!

Where the manual refers to “caret”, think “cursor” or “text cursor”. You position the cursor or select text (which will become the title of the newly split off document) to indicate where the split is to occur. Then initiate the split.

Not sure that an undo is offered for splits… Instead, in the binder, select the text documents that need combined and do a merge. That is discussed in the manual shortly after the split discussion.