Simple questions

1. What is the best way to manage multiple scrivener files. I keep getting crashes if I have more than one open at a time (or should I have only one open?).

2. What is the most foolproof way of saving and opening scrivener files? Simple question but important to me. I have also had problems with trying to open a scrivener file from another computer, it says it will confuse the filing system or some such… thanks. A great product but just trying to understand the crashing and difficulty in opening previously saved files.

1. I’m not entirely clear what you’re looking for as an answer for management issues–are you asking about when to separate ideas into separate projects and when to keep them together, or how to organize them on your hard drive, or something else entirely? Regarding the crashing, that certainly shouldn’t be happening. If you have large projects and a slower processor it’s conceivable you’d have things running slower and even occasionally going unresponsive briefly while the computer tried to catch up, but you shouldn’t be regularly getting crashes by any means. What version of Scrivener are you running? Is there anything particular that seems to trigger the crash–e.g. does it happen as soon as you attempt to open a second project, or does it happen when clicking a certain button in one or the other of the projects, etc.

2. When you create a Scrivener project, it is saved at the location you specify as a folder of files with the .scriv extension, e.g. MyNovel.scriv. Whenever you work in the project in Scrivener, the files inside are constantly updated as the auto-save runs (and saved on project close) so you never have to worry about further saving; using File > Save just forces the auto-save and is generally unnecessary unless you’ve adjusted the auto-save to run very infrequently for performance reasons or such. Scrivener 1.0 will also make a full project backup, stored as a .zip folder, every time you close the project and will save the most recent five of these backups per project. You can adjust the settings for this in the “Backup” tab of Tools > Options… and also easily access your backups folder from there. Additionally you can use File > Back Up > Back Up Now to run the automated backup process at any point when working–this will create a backup going by the settings in the Options and will save it to that backup location, just like the automatic ones. If you want to create a mile-stone copy of the project that won’t be in the cycle of automatic backups (since unless you change the settings, the older versions will be removed to make space for newer copies), or if you want to easily save a backup to another location, you can use File > Back Up > Back Up To…

To open your project, you can navigate into the .scriv folder in Windows Explorer and double-click the project.scrivx file there or use the “Open” menu in Scrivener to browse to the project and do the same. The most recent five projects will also be available for quick access from the “Recent Projects” menu. You should be able to move your projects without a problem from computer to computer, but make sure you only move them when the project is closed and that you’re copying the entire .scriv folder, not just the .scrivx file. You’ll also want to be careful when overwriting older versions of the project folder this way, as more recent versions of Windows will use a merge function when replacing a folder with another of the same name, and so the contents of the project can get goofed up because not all files will be overwritten properly or removed as they should be; if you’re doing this, it’s better to delete the older file first (or move it elsewhere–and make sure you’re getting rid of the right version!) and then replace it with the new one. This might be what you’re getting with the warning about the file system, although I’m not sure entirely–if you get that again, could you grab a screenshot of the message or copy out the exact text?

I am running on a PC Win7 64 machine and I am using the Nano download. When I do most anything that is out of sequence, like clicking in two different file locations when it doesn’t seem to be responding, it grays out and shuts down. I can instantly start it up again however so it is only an inconvenience but it is annoying. I love the software and will buy it as quickly as I can via the Nano offer since I ‘won’ the current iteration of Nano.

The version is 0.0.45 Windows and I am using it on a 8GB RAM Win7 PC. I asked the question about opening more than one file under Scrivener at one time because that seemed to sometimes crash it as well. By the way, thanks for responding so promptly and so helpfully and kudos on developing such a useful piece of software.

It will crash if I rapidly click on more than one area or file at a time or sometimes when I am trying to open a second content file.

You said:

1. I’m not entirely clear what you’re looking for as an answer for management issues–are you asking about when to separate ideas into separate projects and when to keep them together, or how to organize them on your hard drive, or something else entirely? Regarding the crashing, that certainly shouldn’t be happening. If you have large projects and a slower processor it’s conceivable you’d have things running slower and even occasionally going unresponsive briefly while the computer tried to catch up, but you shouldn’t be regularly getting crashes by any means. What version of Scrivener are you running? Is there anything particular that seems to trigger the crash–e.g. does it happen as soon as you attempt to open a second project, or does it happen when clicking a certain button in one or the other of the projects, etc.

Upgrading to 1.0 may fix the issue for you; there’ve been a handful of bug fixes since 045, including a couple crash-related ones. Backup your projects and then uninstall the current version by running the uninstall.exe inside the Scrivener directory or using the Programs & Features tool in Control Panel. Then you can grab the latest 1.0 version from here. You’ll need to use the “Open Existing Project” option the first time you access each of your projets since the “Recent” menu will be cleared, but that will repopulate as you open your projets. If you’re still getting the crashing issue after switching over, though, please let me know and we’ll see if we can pinpoint what’s triggering it.

Thanks also for the kind words! And congratulations on the 50K!

I am a new user scrivener, excuse my English.
My first question is embarrassing, but I do not know how to put the author’s name in my project.
Thanks in advance.