Simple Way to Include Page Break in Compile

I have a single project (no, not that one) with twenty “chapters” that is, different text files under “Draft” in the binder. Each of these files is less than one a4 page long.

They are all Courier, 12 pt font. There are no sections.
How do I make sure --include a page break?–so that each new file starts on its own new page in Compile?

Right now there are no page breaks, instead the separator is a hashmark. So instead of getting 20 pages in Compile, I’m seeing just a few. Perhaps there is a way to substitute a page break code for each hashmark?

Wouldn’t just selecting a Layout, via the Assign Section Layouts dialogue, for these sections that includes a page break be all you need? Whether or not a layout includes a page break is printed on the preview tile. It sounds like you’re using a layout more suitable for scenes or major sections.

If you don’t see one, just double-click on the nearest thing to it to edit, go into Separators, and set up your page break policy.

In most project templates and built-in formats, I think all you have to do to get page breaks is convert the text files to folders.

Sure, but that would be kind of weird, having 15 empty folders with text content. Much more logical and in keeping with the design of the software to tell the compiler that a flat sequence of 15 files are meant to act as chapters.

More logical and in keeping, yes. But not as easy. Not that I’d take the easy route myself, mind you.

I have to start out these projects with blank templates because a) there are no legal templates (that is, no law-related templates and b) there isn’t really a standard in my particular, eccentric line of work. Trying to shoehorn the content into an existing project template is possible, but usually it doesn’t work.

For some reason I have difficulty assigning sections conceptually when I’m looking at several paragraphs and no sections and no section structure. What I ended up doing was editing the Manuscript format in Compile and changing the separators to “Page Break.” That worked.

I’m surprised someone hasn’t come up with legal templates for Scrivener. Part of the problem, I guess, is that law is so damned local. An English legal opinion looks very different from an American one, from a Canadian one, etc. There is a certain degree of uniformity in appellate briefs in the US at least–these tend to be very structured and are similar to non-fiction books. Non-standard requirements (such as a statement concerning font size) could just be options. But you have to be careful: creativity is not just frowned upon, it is cause for rejection. I once included an epigraph in an appellate brief and it was returned to me to have the page torn out. Don’t worry, I got my revenge: the statement of font and font sizes was ill-defined and not counted against word count limitations. I added a 2 page history of Bembo for their Honors’ consideration (the client didn’t suffer, it was an appeal I was forced to file; i.e. due process theater: there were no issues.)

1 Like