Single page view?

I’m wondering if there is a way to only view one page at a time on the screen.

For example. If I start a new project, start chap 1 say, I’m typing on page one when I get to the bottom it starts me at the top of page 2. I think there is a view like this in Word, but I can’t remember.

It’s very hard to put in words what I’m looking for.

I think programmes like Scrivener don’t have page layout views by their very definitions.

Would the typewriter scrolling not meet your needs? It always keeps the cursor in the middle of the screen.

(I read your need as desire not to stare at the bottom of the screen all the time)

I guess my need is to merely see that I am making progress by watchin my words fill a page. I like the idea of seeing the page if that makes sense.

That is correct. Since Scrivener does not actually paginate, all documents are simply considered one long stream of text. So there are no pages for a page view to hypothetically display. You might find that you like Full Screen. While it does not have “pages,” it does present your document in a somewhat page like way. It is the closest Scrivener comes to that viewing mode that you are referring to in Word.

On the other hand, once you get used to the word count, you stop worring about page count. In my case, I know that about 300 words make a page. So, when I begin to write a piece, I set a word count goal. This is useful, because I can see right away where I stand at every moment.

True, but for visually oriented people, a steadily incrementing number is just not as satisfying as flying through virtual pages. :slight_smile: I never did get a taste for writing on virtual pages, but being a visual person, I’ve always enjoyed watching the scroll bar get smaller and smaller as I type.

You are right, AmberV. I am a visual person too (my reading notes look like maps), so I would much prefer a running progress bar.

Brrr. Progress bars (shudder). :slight_smile:

Scrivener doesn’t feature a page-layout view because it isn’t a page layout program - it’s all about getting your text down on a page. I used to like page views too, but these days I much prefer just text-on-blankness.

Also, because Scrivener documents are really “chunks” that can be cut up how the user likes, pages don’t make much sense as a unit. For instance, in the early stages of drafting, each document may be only a paragraph, which will all be combined when you print or view it via Edit Scrivenings. So pages don’t really give any idea of how much text you have in your draft. Hope that makes sense. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Sorry, but I need a progress bar or something else, too. “Writer” shows one, “Ulysses” shows the progress in percent, which is far enough to have a visual control.

I have to write practical guides with lots of (photos of) exercises and in my case I need to to have full control over the filling of a page. The wordcounter is really not enough. Or let me say, that I am too lazy to have an eye on the word count the whole time and to check in my brain whether its enough or not. Looking at a percentage indicator is much easier…

Look at the prefs of “Writer” or “Ulysses”: There you can find a simple option where you can set the number of words (chars) which fill one page. And some kind of indicator at the foot of the text panel. Think about it (and I will switch from Ulysses to your application which fits my needs much better than Ulysses does. Besides that, the support of bluetec or their arrogance resp. is too much for me :wink: I’m a German and I know the intention of words when I hear them…)

The Ulysses page calculator is just based upon an estimation, much like the Scrivener calculator in Statistics (and I was not aware that it would give a running percentage of where you are in a pseudo-page, where do you turn that feature on, I couldn’t find it?) It is really only meant to give a general idea, not provide precise layout information (something more suited to a word processor, or page layout program, than a creative writing tool). Neither application has the slightest concept of a page, in the sense that InDesign does or something.

In Ulysses it’s

Preferences>Interface>Console Mode>HUD [Characters, Words, Pages]

&

Preferences>Counting>Norm Page [Characters/Line and Lines/Page]

Mmmm! Well, maybe.

Please have a look at the Prefs mentioned in the last thread (Preferences>Counting>Norm Page [Characters/Line and Lines/Page] ) and decide by yourself whether this could be a possibly good feature for Scrivener.

I made a mistake in my thread: I meant “CopyWrite”, not “Writer” :blush:

But again: I am not looking for a side-view, like in InDesign, Illustrator, Word etc. I just want to have a better control about the progress, not only about chars or words but about lines and how much I have to write to fill one page. I cannot describe it in a better way…

“side-view” - oops: I mean “page-view”

I don’t see this in Ulysses… All I see is the page count, based on the characters per line and lines per page you specify. I certainly don’t see any percentage counter.

As for CopyWrite… Yes, that has a progress bar. Scrivener Gold featured a progress bar, but in discussion with users at the time, I decided to leave it out of Scrivener 1.0. I still feel that is the right decision. Generally, all you need is a word count. My other half is a journalist - she lives by word counts. I have written academic papers - again, they are limited to a number of words. Writing short stories and novels is also, generally, done by word count. A 6,000 word short story… A 100,000 word novella… A 250,000 word novel… A 500,000 doorstopper… And so on. I understand that some visual folk may like progress bars, but I kind of agree with the Ulysses guys on this that they are a bit “gimmicky”. I’m not ruling them out from post-1.0, but I am from 1.0. Sorry. :slight_smile:

Best,
Keith

Sorry, but this is what I meant: a page count. So please tell me, how many pages are filled with 234789 words? If my publisher tells me that I have to write an exact amount of words and x words per page and chapter, then I decide rather to be part of the “visual folks” than writing with a calculator in my left hand. Do you see the point? Maybe this is an unimportant feature for you but its an important feature for me. Maybe that most of the writers can live with counting words - I cannot… So I have to keep at Ulysses… sigh

hey s_engel, precisely - it depends upon a thousand things that your publisher will decide regarding layout. I doubt whether any publisher will know, ahead of time, how many pages = 234789 words.

In my experience, publishers only ask for numbers of words - I’ve never heard them ask for numbers of pages. I don’t write books, so I could be wrong.

What would you be calculating? The numbers of pages? What is your metric for converting number of words to pages? Would you rather that someone else decide that arbitrarily for you?

Ulysses would only provide you with a very rough estimate of numbers of pages - given your layout complexities as you describe them, this doesn’t sound all that useful to you.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I have to work this way:

• The publisher tells me how many words I can write (+/- X words) in my next book.
  • Every chapter has two introductory pages with a limited number of words.
  • Every chapter (the whole chapter) has one or two pages with an exercise which is described in the text. For every exercise I have to look how many words I have already written. And I have to know how many pages I have written overall.

You said Ulysses would only provide you with a very rough estimate of numbers of pages. Yes, maybe, but I wrote 4 books with Ulysses now and it helped a lot to have a (rough) control.

Ok, I don’t want to overstress this discussion with my “absurd” wishes or with the descriptions of my way to work. I see what you mean. Thanks for all the answers to my suggestion.

But – if all you need is an estimated page count, Scrivener already does that? Just go to the View menu, Statistics, Project Statistics, and in the top section you will see what you are looking for. Note you can narrow down the count by eliminating various types of “meta-data” here, such as footnotes and annotations. I do not remember what metric it is using to evaluate this, but as with Ulysses any metric based on word count is going to be extremely rough, even if all you are working with is text. Throw illustrations and tables into the mix and it is completely up in the air, no matter what program you use (excluding page layout, or course).

Amber nailed it, as usual – Proj. Stats should tell you what you need.

I want to back up Keith’s instinct to leave out progress bars etc. and rely on word counts. I’ve been an editor at two magazines and never once did I worry about page counts on manuscripts; we knew roughly how many words would fit a page in our format (font size, spacing, leading, photo space, ads, etc), and we budgeted accordingly. There’s always wiggle room by adjusting size of photo boxes and so on, but the point is, this is a layout /design decision, not an editorial or writing function and therefore is properly excluded from Scrivener to avoid bloat.

If you need more info, just figure out how many words fit on a page in your preferred font, line spacing etc (e.g. a common rough estimate is about 250 wds/8.5X11 page of double spaced 12 point Times Roman) and then divide accordingly. At most you’re talking about a couple of clicks on a calculator; most of the time, you can tell at a glance at the word count about how many pages a given piece will fill. Then export to Pages or InDesign or whatever to firm it up.

Kevin? Who’s Kevin? Is he related to Ken? (Whoever Ken is.)