Size of document >> no images, plenty of words >> normal?

Hello all,

I’m coming to the end of a large project, and have now combined different “chapters”, which were separate Scrivener projects, into a single project.

The end product sees just north of 201,500 words, spread across 926 pages – and comes in at 163mb.
Is that normal/acceptable, or should I do something about it?

I followed the suggestions to “Find by formatting”, and have now removed the several images that were inside the project – although this didn’t really make much of a difference.

Any suggestions/confirmation, will be appreciated.

When you say you removed the images, did you move them to Trash and then empty the Trash? If you don’t empty the Trash, they’d still be in the project file.

Thanks – I did that.

It was only a handful of images – so guess it’s possible it wouldn’t make much of a difference to the total size.
What I’m just wanting to check, is whether it is reasonable/expected to have +/- 200,000 words – all text – come in at 165mb?

I’m not suggesting anything untoward – I realise there is plenty going on under the hood – I’m merely wanting to confirm if that sounds more or less correct? Basically, I want know if I shouldn’t be trouble-shooting now already, rather than working further in the new ‘combined’ project, only for this to become an issue later on down the road…

Do you use Snapshots a lot? Under the hood, it looks like every snapshot is an RTF file in itself, so if you’re regularly taking snapshots of the whole manuscript, that could add up…

(This isn’t necessary, but…) If you want to take a look: duplicate the project in Finder first then right-click on the duplicate and Show Package Contents. Then select the Snapshots folder and cmd-i to get the info: that will tell you how much space it’s using up. You can then remove unnecessary snapshots from within Scrivener with Documents > Snapshots > Show Snapshot Manager. (Don’t try to remove them in Finder…)

Ah – that’s probably it! I use plenty of Snapshots…
Thanks – will look through that side of things then.

But that all being said > is this necessarily a problem?
Would it be advisable to reduce the file-size (also considering it is sitting in Dropbox to Scriv-iOS), or is this a case of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?

I don’t think it’s a problem unless it’s actually getting in the way (syncs, or loading times are too slow, for example).

I have a ~140k word project. The .scriv file is 3Mb. So, it looks like you have some cruft lying around.

The Snapshot Manager is one place to look.

Otherwise, if you are comfortable with the command line, try du -skh * | sort -n when in the project folder. This gives an list of folders and their sizes ordered by size. (If you use homebrew, then ncdu will make the search much quicker.)

Any recommendations regarding the “culling of” snapshots?

Would this be best handled inside Scrivener – or could I delete them externally, in the project-tree, so to speak?

The Documents ▸ Snapshots ▸ Show Snapshots Manager is going to be the best tool for clearing out this kind of stuff. Refer to §15.8.5, The Snapshots Manager for all the details, but in brief:

• You can search the whole project for snapshots by different criteria.
  • Run date-based searches (see Table 11.1).
  • Export bulk snapshots to the file system as RTF files for archival.
  • Bulk delete.

For example, if you’re like me and use the Take snapshots of changed text documents on manual save setting, in General: Saving, then you’ll have piles of snapshots called “Untitled (Save)”, the oldest of which are probably of little use to you at this point. There are other settings and conditions that can cause automated snapshots to be generated (sync, for example), that could be good to clean out now and then.

(I say you can search by date, but in trying to do so I’m running into difficulties getting that working at all, or reliably, nor does it combine with search terms like Project Search does. So there may be some issues with that in the recent build—or maybe macOS itself, since I don’t get correct results with 3.0.0 either.)

Thanks a bunch – wow, was thinking this was going to be far more tedious to do!

Did I mention I had plenty of snapshots? 8)

Did some house-cleaning, and the file-size is now down to 24,6 mb (from 163 mb)… Which seems far more reasonable.
Thanks again for the help!

It can be. I recently helped a user whose project had ballooned to 300 mb, mostly due to snapshots, and he was experiencing lag when moving things around in the Binder. So be alert for performance issues. But no, there’s nothing inherently wrong with a big project. People with a lot of research materials often get up into the gigabyte range.

Katherine