Slash gets stranded

I did not manage to find a better title…

In my writing, I mention phonetics, which means that I will write /u/, for example.
I have tried in a .docx, and it seems that the three characters stay together–i.e they are considered as a 3-letter word, I guess.

In the Scrivener editor, the three characters are not considered as a unit–the slash will move to the next line without the other two characters.

Can I be sure that, when I compile to RTF, they will remain together?
If not, how is it possible to indicate that they should?
I need an indivisible space, but without the space, in a way.

I hope this is clear…

You could try the zero-width joiner, unicode U+200D. You can find it here, but if you enable unicode in the “Emoji and Symbols” dialog (Click icon at top left and choose “Customise…” if you need to) you can choose “General Punctuation” and it’s third from the right in the 2000 line.

HTH

Mark

1 Like

Thank you very much for this very precise answer. It was very clear.

I have tested it, and it seems to work perfectlh :wink:

1 Like

My pleasure. I find having unicode enabled in the dialog comes in handy for all sorts of things.

:slight_smile:

Mark

1 Like

Yes, probably, IF you know how to use it.
I will have to look into this, so as to see the possibility and keep them in mind. I am sure there is a lot to discover!

We’ll, as you can see from my screenshot, once you have enabled it, you have a list of all the categories that you can scroll through (general punctuation is useful for odd spaces) and once you’ve found the one you want, you can “favourite” it and then it’s always available.

And double-clicking pastes the character into your active document.

:slight_smile:
Mark

1 Like

I have favourited the one you gave me… AND just now, also the no-break space, very useful in French (although that one, all I have to do is alt + space).

Thanks for the double click! I was dragging it instead… :wink: